serrano peppers

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Whats the best way to keep peppers from spoiling? I put them in a zipper plastic bag . Do i put the peppers in the refridgerator, or keep them inside the table with the zipper bag.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't pick mine until I need them. If I want to harvest them for later use, I either keep them very temporarily in the fridge, or pop them whole in plastic bags in the freezer, or I string them & hang them inside the house to dry.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm with Breezy, I cut them off as I need them, or harvest as many as possible when I am making hotsauce, otherwise, I just pop them in a ziplock freezer bag. Although, if you leave some of the stem on them, they will keep in the fridge for at least a week.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've had better luck poking a few holes in a zipper plastic bag (with a fork) when storing peppers in the fridge for a few days. If you're saving them up for salsa or hot sauce, or even for use in cooking, you can mince them in the food processor (seeded or not, depending on how hot you want them to be), put them in a glass jar, and add enough vinegar to cover them.... they'll keep in the fridge for over a year this way.

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

I've had good luck dehydrating them, for long term storage.

mg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.