Another lovely, but no name.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is another very pretty one that was given to me by TRogers ar the Texoma Roundup.
It is a creamy white with a tinge of green on the outside. It usually lasts 2 days which is neat, and has a very light scent. Thank you Ted.

Thumbnail by frostweed

A view of the plant with 2 blossoms today.

Thumbnail by frostweed
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

your plant looks just like mine, it is lovely but smells terrible, I don't know the name either I grew mine from seed that was sent to me.

Doris

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

And this is my Dark Purple one, that as of yet has no smell

Thumbnail by kareoke

Hello Doris, It does appear that the two plants are the same, but mine doesn't smell bad. not great, but not bad. Of course everyone's sense of smell is different.
May be someone will know the name, that would be nice.
Your dark purple one is really dark, please show us the picture when it opens up, I bet it is really beautiful.
Josephine.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Ladies.....Your whites look like d. metel "double white"

Doris, I think your dark one is d. metel also "aka Black Currant Swirl" from the shape of the leaves and it's form :)

Laurrie

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks OhioBreezy, I was pretty sure that was it.
my white one smells so strong you can smell it as soon as you walk by, I was told by a farmer friend that it is the leaves that smell so bad. by the way Farmers hate these plants, they can be very invasive in the fields.

Doris

Thank you Laurrie, I will let the friend who gave me the plants know what kind it is and I will save some seed for him.
As to the plants being invasive in the fields,wouldn't that be the Datura wrightii, or Jimsonweed which is the wild variety?
Are these different varieties hybrid? and if so, would they also grow wild?
I have never seen the fancy ones growing wild, but then, I haven't seen everything either.
It would be interesting to know.
Josephine.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Doris, yes it's the leaves that smell bad if rubbed, also farmers HERE don't like them because if the cattle are silly enough to eat on the plants it can harm them or kill them, also the seedpods when they get ripe and hard as nails with all those spikes, they get in their feet and hurts them.

Josephine, I think all the datura can self seed and become a pest if the right conditions exist. And most people I think growing the fancier ones, they sneak the seedpods off to share/trade so less likely they get around to becoming a nuisance, but yes to that question, they can all be invasive.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

yours is a double white metel........beautiful
will you have seed for trade?

This message was edited Sep 29, 2005 10:45 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.