White spots on my squash leaves

Bothell, WA(Zone 7a)

Help, My squash have white spots on the leaves. They have been growing like crazy and I was thrilled until I saw the white spots and they seem to be spreading. I think maybe it's some kind of mold. They are in the path of the sprinkler. What can I do? Thanks, Donna W

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

maybe a powdery mildew. you can use a dilute garlic spray to get rid of it.

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

oh, also diluted skim milk.

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Pretty much any kind of milk will do it. Mix in a ratio of 1:9 or 1:10. I don't think the fat content is a factor.

It's been keepintg the PM in check for me this year. Next year I'm looking into resitant varieties, especially for cukes.

Wayne

Bothell, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I will use it. Does it get rid of it or keep it from coming back or both. I am a new gardener and am so excited about everything. Soon I will post before and after pics of my whole half acre. Donna

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

I had do do the milk treatments every few days for a while. The squash had a few treatments and the mildew hasn't returned to it. It was heavier on the pumpkins since it had been there a while before I spotted it. The milk never never cured it but seemed to keep the damage under control for a while and the pumpkins did well with some loss of leaves.

I did see the first sign of it on my late cukes last week and one treatment seems to have halted it, probably because I caught it at the very first sign.

Wayne

Bothell, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Wayne, I sprayed all the leaves, top and bottom. It seemed to help right away. I'll be anxious to see how they look in the morning. I really like the fact
that it's a natural way to treat it. I am totally against any chemical sprays. I will continue to use it. I have been so thrilled with my garden and the wonder of seeing things grow so big from a small little seed. I am sharing the wonder with my grandchildren. Thanks again for the wonderful cure.

Thanks also to naien. This is such a fabulous resource. :)Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.