Clematis Propagation Questions.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

When is it time to take cuttings from clematis to root? And what's a good way to root em? I haven't had much luck in the past. Sand? Laying it on the ground? What's that called again, by the way?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know what the experts say, I just know what I tried. When I trimmed off some stray green vines, I stuck them in some damp vermiculite and put a plastic bag over the top. I set it on my front porch in full shade and waited. I would say I had 30-40% survival.
Hope that helps some. :~)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

But it didn't mess up flowers for the next year? That's what I'm really concerned about.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

you mean cutting the stray vines off? I did not notice any difference of having less flowers. Have you looked yours up to see what group it is in for pruning? That will tell you if it flowers on new or old wood.
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html
that will let you look them up alphabetically with the A-Z link and also there is a link for pruning the 3 groups.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

I lay them on the ground, pin down a node,and wait for it to root. Then dig it up. Joelle

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

The pruning brings me to another question. What are live buds?

Quoting:
In late February or early March, working down from the tips, follow each stem until you come to a pair of live buds.

And how do you detect an old leaf joint in the winter??? (Febuary).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

The Feb. comment depends on your zone, buds(growth at the nodes) will be breaking in the early spring. Winter dieback will have no green sprouting.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

I have some that are 5 years old...planted in the ground...but in a covered building. What do you think the chances of them surviving if I cutting them back, and digging them up them replanting them outside?
The building is not heated...but they have always been protected from frost, ect.
Any help would be deeply appreciated
Sue

wolverhampton, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

This is my dwarf integrifolia alba, I have successfully rooted 3 cuttings approx 2 months ago by placing in a jar of water. I had no success last year placing cuttings in soil. I find the water method is always worth a try.

Sue

Thumbnail by alrac
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't even root lilac in water. The most complicated ways usually work the best for me.... of course!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Is it too late to root some now and then keep them inside for the winter?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.