Best time to kill weeds?

Reno, NV(Zone 7b)

A friend of mine just bought a new house and the "lawn" is over-run with weeds right now and the grass has browned out over a lot of it. It's a mess in other words. I'm planning to spread some grass seed in the spring, but for right now I really want to get a jump start on those weeds. Should I go ahead and spread crab-grass and weed killer now? Or should I wait until it's closer to frost time?

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I think you might have missed the time to get the crabgrass, but here's a link that's helped me out. I used Scott's seed to reseed bare patches in my lawn (I had also bought a new house overrun with weeds and with brown spots that ended up turning into bare spots this spring), and was very happy with the quality of the grass that's come up. Hope this helps! There's a link near the bottom of the page that says "renovate your lawn".

http://lawncare.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/Home.Normal

Kelly

Reno, NV(Zone 7b)

Thank you very much. That was really helpful. I've actually taken the action of applying some weed-killer about a week ago. Now we're seeding so that when the crabgrass is dying out there will be grass establishing to hopefully prevent it's re-emergence in the spring. I'm also a bit fan of the Weed 'n' Feed, so once the lawn is up and running in October I'll give it a last shot of winterizer and wait for the spring. :-/ :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.