"Winged Beauty" vine

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I saw this vine for the first time yesterday at the local nursery. Dalechampia discoraefolia or "Winged Beauty".
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/d%20-%20g/dalechampia_discoraefolia.htm
Needless to say, I'd love to have it. But the 5 gal. plant costs $43. The seeds were free, though.

Does anyone know how to grow these from seeds?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, it is a lovely one! And good job on the free seeds. ;~)
I cannot remember how I started mine, but I only had 1 seed & it did fine, so it is not hard, unless I got lucky. I remember I started it in the Spring outside, so I did not use bottom heat, but not sure if I did the nick/soak or not before covering it up.
I am sure someone will be along soon that has a real brain instead of swiss cheese, and can give you real information. LOL

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Did you get the seeds off of the $43 plant? lol...

It is a gorgeous vine!
-T

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

heh heh heh....

The seeds didn't come from the $43 plant but did come from the huge one that was on an arbor. There were tons of seeds on that one but the nursery doesn't sell seeds.

I nicked the seed a bit and soaked it in water for a few hours. It's in a wad of wet paper towel right now. Hope it sprouts.

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

what nursery was it?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL I suspect that naien is thinking about a road trip...HAR

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

The place is Flowerdale Nursery on Tustin Ave. in the city of Orange. They also have another location in Costa Mesa but I've never been to that one and not sure if it has winged beauty or not.

Naien, if you do make it to the one in Orange, check out "Mainly Seconds" across the street. It's a pretty neat place with lots of pots, plants, and knick-knacks.

Quoting:
There were tons of seeds on that one...

So did you get TONS of seeds?, lol...
-T

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Ah, man. I'm never gonna live this one down. lol

I only got 3 seeds.

i'll probably make a little venture tomorrow and check it out. i love mainly seconds! all my gardening gear is from there and the 99 cent store. if there is a preponderance of seeds i'll send some out to you guys for postage. i have no shame for my seed snatchin' ways.

scott

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Well, at least you didn't snatch the $43.00 plant...hee hee

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Scott? Not naien? lol

I've gotten many containers and plants from the 99 cents store too. As a matter of fact, I bought a few coleus and shallow plastic 'sun bowl' type of containers there just this afternoon.

BTW, there's also a Harbor Freight and Tools just a few stores down from Mainly Seconds. Great gardening stuff there, too. They had an 8 ft. metal arch/arbor advertised for only $5. I'm thinking of buying it for my cucumbers.

blckwolf: I've never shelled out more than $20 for a plant, unless it's an exotic fruit tree or a really unusual orchid.

no way! i'm totally going there, too, then .

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

QUYEN...I meant at least he didn't stuff it under his shirt.....snatch it, you know ...it was a joke...lol

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I got your drift, blckwolf. Was just trying to take the high road ;-)

Scott: If you're going to be in the area and are up to visiting a few nurseries, I recommend Upland Nursery (1518 N. Tustin), Village Nurseries (right next to Upland), and Green Mart (400 W. Lincoln).
Upland is a bit pricey but has an interesting variety of plants (high quality).
Village is so-so but it's right next door.
Green Mart has lots of tropical fruit trees, orchids, and bonsai. It's runned by a Chinese family (I think) and the place is a bit unusual (eclectic).

Have fun.

Quyen-
I was just giving you a hard time. I'll stop.

Actually, there are a few nurseries that I frequent(and patronize with my money)so often that I don't think they'd have any problem letting me take seeds of something they weren't interested in...

I would think if you frequent the nursery, and they know you by name, they should't have any problem with you cleaning off the whole vine. They may feel you saved them the "mess" of them falling all over the ground to get stepped on...

And, that sounds like exactly what will happen if Scott doesn't go clean them up before you do! lol....
-T

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Scott, if you happen to get some extra seeds, I would love to try some. We can either trade or I can send you postage.
Deb

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

You guys have the BEST nurseries, I am envious! Do you know if any of them are online?

A couple years ago I was at a nursery with my daughter when I noticed the abutilon was COVERED with seedpods. I picked a few and handed them to my daughter, then saw another color that had seeds and so on. I did not think I had that many until I finally turned around to see my daughter (17 & master of the "stare/glare") with the bottom of her shirt pulled up to make a "sack" that was rather full. LOLOL She was so embarassed & I must say, I was rather shocked myself that I had filled her shirt up. I ended up going inside & telling the girl that I cleaned up their abutilon for them & did they want the seed? She said no, so I asked if I could take it & she said yes. Needless to say, my daughter has not gone to the nursery with me again.

If you make a good haul naien, let me know & I will see if I have any seeds to tempt you with. (Abutilon maybe? HARHAR)

Donna-
LOL!!!!!!!!
So much for your daughter wanting to grow up and be a gardener "just like you"!
ROTFL!!!
-T

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

She is 19 now and has learned how to appear interesting in her poor obsessive mothers ramblings, but I see past the pasted on smile & notice her eyes get kind of a hazy glaze look... HAR

Does she take ANY interest in gardening?
Does she ever help you pick out a plant, or *gasp* dig, in the garden with you?, lol...
-T

is it bad that i find myself, the teenager, talking about plants all the time and all the adults around me just smile and nod their heads?

i'm going to see if i can't force a roommate to go with me to help corroborate evidence if we get apprehended!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, do their eyes glaze over?
Yes, take someone with you thats wearing a loose-fitting shirt and stick with the "I was cleaning up for you" story if questioned. Whatever you do, do not look guilty! HAR

Taylor,
no. She once said an asiatic lily was pretty so I bought a bunch for her. I ended up planting them. I don't know that she has even been over to look at "her" lily bed. LOL

Donna-
Yep-that is what I figured...
You ruined her! lol...

Just kidding...no one in my family gardens, especially my hubby. I think they all just figure "we've got it handled for them", lol...

Scott-
Just ask! I'm sure they won't mind...Quyen has already established that...
-T

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Quyen,

I had that vine last year from Fullerton Arboretum for only $7. It was really easy to grow, until the unexpected frost. I lost a lot of plants last year. I guess you know how I felt.

They are going to have a vine sale on September. I will definitely check it out. If you live around that area, I suggest you come and take a look. Even if you don't find any thing, the arboretum is beautiful to walk around.

http://www.arboretum.fullerton.edu/clndr/clndr.asp

~Eliza~

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the info, Eliza. I love Fullerton Arboretum but always have such a hard time catching their plants sales. About the only times that I can go there is during the week. But, I will try again.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

What a unique plant... I can't overwinter plants, so I can't have it, but it sure is neat....

My daughter refuses to dig in the garden and get her fingernails dirty.... Whenever I say the words garden, plant or nursery she rolls her eyes and hides... lol She's 17.... She, too, has a flower patch that she rarely even looks at...

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Update:

I went to the Fullerton Arboretum Plant Sale today and bought a plant for $8. It was in a 2 quarts pot. Eventhough the seeds that I sowed have sprouted and doing fine, I just don't have the patience to wait for the leaves and flowers.

BTW, I also have seeds for trading.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Yeah, Quyen! You got to the plant sale!!! If you have some seeds to trade I would luv some.
:) Donna

Quyen-
What are you looking for (in the way of seeds) for your dalechampia seeds??
I have some centrosema virginianum that are ripening right now...and some aristolochia fimbriata.
-T

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Quyen,

So you were there. I bought one too. I also have bonus: 2 small plants.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Lucky you, Eliza. I didn't get there until 2 pm on Sunday. There was only one left and I gladly took it :-D

thank you so much for the seeds, quyen,it really made my day brighter!:)

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

You're welcome, Scott. They call me Halogen Quyen (among other things).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.