Favorite iris photo? Stolen from the daylily forum

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Bluegrass started a thread about people's favorite photo. It's a good time to remind ourselves about what we love in the spring, don't you think?
This is IM 'Candy Floss'. Not recommended - it's life is too short and it's got a very light substance. I do love this photo though.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Another beautiful, but very short blooming cultivar. 'Glistening Icicle'. I'm not growing these again because of their performance. So why are they my favorite photos????

Thumbnail by doss
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I have a few favorite photos. My very favorite is this one that I took of the SDB 'Flirting Again'. It looks like it's actually flirting with you-peeking out from behind it's foliage.

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Dandy Candy' has a lot of different colors in it, so it's kind of hard to capture on film. I think this photo shows it's wide range of hues.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Some irises look better when their pictures are taken from the side. I think 'Bad Cad' is one of those.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I really like this photo of 'Daughter of Stars' because I love how drops of water look on irises.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Rare Treat' is just a really nice iris. I also like how the tan of the cedar chips in the background sets off the blue stitching.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Last, but certainly not least, 'Spice Lord' lights up the garden!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm so glad that you posted these. I always thought that Bad Cad and Spice lord were muddy colors. I bought Dandy Candy this year but thought that it was pastel. I'm a strong color person, but not so much this year. My Ghio bonus program iris are almost all pastel. Guess I'm going to learn to love them. And those SDB. I am trying a few this year but it's really too warm for them. Even some of the IM balk.

I love all the veining on Social Graces. The new cameras are awesome.

Thumbnail by doss
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I saw 'Social Graces' blooming this year. It's a really lovely iris. Like you, I think the veining is the most outstanding feature.

'Bad Cad' and 'Spice Lord' are anything but muddy. They are some of the most outstanding in my garden. 'Dandy Candy' is vibrant, definitely not pastel. I think that some of the pictures make it seem that way because they are taken in full sun, and the colors are best captured in shade.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Guess those go on next years list. :-)

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pictures. 'Spice Lord' is a must have.

I like this picture of 'Jitterbug' cause the sunlight really brings out the contrast of the falls.

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That's a really nice pic of 'Jitterbug'. I like that iris a lot.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I can never choose a fave. iris. It is whatever is blooming at the time.
inanda

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

My neighbor gave me a bunch of these last year. I love the color..
JOYCE TERRY

Thumbnail by winnietn
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, lovely photos. Keep them coming!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

spice Lord is beautiful, Bad Cad, g. icicles,J. Terry.. they are all so lovely..

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Bad Cad--Come to Mama! Wow! Is that a beauty!!!

I love this shot of Abstract Art.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I know that some of you have seen this already but I do love this photo. This is Harvest of Memories on November 11 last year.

Thumbnail by doss
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

WOW Doss!!!!! That photo is GORGEOUS!!!! I have never seen it before so I am very glad you put it up here. Iris in November? Must definately be a rebloomer? I didn't know they rebloomed that late in the year.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

That is a beautiful Iris D. I have to put that one on my wish list.
Winnie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

doss~

I love the photo of 'Harvest of Memories'. It's very peaceful.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If I only had one iris in my garden it would be "Harvest". It blooms twice in the spring and again in the fall. Sutton's has it as a #3 (the best) rebloomer - of course it doesn't freeze here and we have a long growing season. Superstition had it for $3.00 each this spring. It's really a stronger yellow than the photo because of the sun shining through the petals.

This is 'Aaron's Rod'. Another inexpensive one. It only does this in it's first bloom but then there are other stalks that are less enthusiastic and only have a few flowers on them.

Thumbnail by doss
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Ah, yes. To have your zone's re-blooming capabilities would be wonderful!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

garnet storm dancer
louisiana iris

Thumbnail by tazzy
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Luckily, I followed your advice tazzy and my Garnet Strom Dancer should come next month. The photo is fabulous. I bought one for my mother too. :-)

THANKS

-frenzy- Is Daughter of Stars a good iris? Any comments about it? I am thinking of putting in on next year's wishlist.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Texas~

I really like 'Daughter of Stars'. It's a lovely flower and it multiplies quickly. The foliage stays nice also, unlike most TB's.

Firebreather takes my breath away...

I like the combo of the rich colors of Persian Berry against the purity of my Butterfly Fairy garden sculpture.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow. That gold iris is a knockout and I love the colors of the Persian Berry too.

-frenzy- Great thanks for the recommendation. I am so glad to here it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.