First year Oriental Lilies

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Should I be concerned that the Oriental lilies & orientpet lily I planted this year didn't grow very tall (12 inches)? Out of the several I planted only one flowered. This is my first year for this type of lily and I just don't know what to expect.

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

For many people they don't come up the first year or they're stunted. Second year should be perfect.

Since Texas weather is so different from ours, I'd rely on what other Texans tell you. Good luck!

Thanks. I guess I shouldn't worry too much and just wait for next year. It is going to be very hard to wait.

We have ours on the side of the house: one of the last gardens to get our attention in springtime. I had this huge S shaped area all dug out, all amendments in the soil, etc. and then, planted the Oriental mix of 25 when they arrived. Never even noticed when they began to grow and the bunnies ate every one down to ground level. Lesson: sprinkle blood meal for a foot around every spot that has any kind of lily. It really works. Of course, I didn't have any stalks, no less blossoms that year! I thought for certain they couldn't survive but they did. Whew!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

TB ~ if you had growth and a little bloom this year, you're doing fine. Next year should be spectacular. :) Welcome to lily love!

I just received two Tiara as a bonus in a trade: heaven on earth!

Thanks Moby. I love my Asiatics and can't wait to see my oriental lilies in bloom.

Have your camera and your nose ready for a real treat.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I plan to plant more lilies this fall when llilyfan opens her garden market booth. I'll know that they are healthy and she actually sends the ones you expect to get!

I'm sure 2006 crop of bunnies will need something to eat in early spring . I'd hate to disappoint them.

Please, Wanda, sprinkle on a generous helping of blood meal - all around the plants, too! It works on all plants, not just lilies.

I'm willing to try--just to get out there before the bunnies do....

If you know precisely where the OL's are just sprinkle in spring before they even emerge.

That's a good idea. Everything is marked with garden stakes--that's how I know which ones DIDN'T come up. I had a daughter graduating last spring & another moving to a house. It made for chaos.

You must have enjoyed the peace and quiet of the summer: I would have.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Wanda, who is llilyfan? Do you mean buggy crazy?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Llilyfan is Sue (she and Wanda did the door prizes at the IARU) Sue grows a truckload of lilies with plans on making a business of it.

Here is a pic from the MORU. Sue is in the back with the plain gray shirt. (Others pictured ~ langbr, frs333, llilyfan, Wanda and Moby) I know it looks like a pretty boring scene but that was the 'well-behaved' pic.

Thumbnail by Moby

Boring? Boring? They can't hear the stories we were telling & the laughter! Great pic Mary! So, Moby.... are you going to come and share the KYRU condo with Starr, lliyfan and me??? This could be another great adventure for us...

Moby & I could tell naughty tales & embarrass everyone else.... :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Don't make me get pic that shows the REAL you.....

Oh Moby! Is this the start of a DG calender? Could be fun and it looks like YOU certainly had fun.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wanda! I wasn't aware that your hooves and horns were ever in hiding. I know 'behaving' is really hard for you, and that it doesn't last very long.......

Thumbnail by Moby

Moby -

It could be such fun with things like Brugmansias to obscure some "parts" and big melons for other "parts". When shall we all pose and contribute? Where do we send the photos?

We could do it for the monetary benefit of the homeless down south!

Good shot Tazzy! Some men might qualify if they are willing.

If men are allowed I'll get Jack to the vegetable garden tomorrow!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh i am back to all woman again .
I was having separation anxiety glad you found rest of me .

Thank goodness. We were having anxiety of our own!

Tazzy--Were you worried about "not being all there"? Senility?

YUP !
and I dont know why ?

Oh you're crazy to feel like that!

Me crazy .Ha !
Who told ?

Thumbnail by tazzy

Reminds me of an old joke:

He called his girlfriend Candy, not because she was so sweet, but because she was half nuts.

Goodness of all this because I asked a question about First year Lilies. I don't dare want to know what would have resulted if I had asked about the second year! LOL

Well, Texas, this is my latest adventure with Orientals:

I had no choice but to move some and the old stems broke off and now new green growth is emerging. I have no idea what will happen. Does anyone know? This was their first year and they did bloom nicely in July.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Don't let us scare ya, Doodlebug. We may be a little off our rockers, but generally harmless. ;)

Moby - What scares me is that I am not really scared! Ha! I was pretty much thinking out loud (in my very own sideways tilted rocker). ;-)

pirl - Interesting that they are growing again. Since I know nothing about oriental lilies I couldn't even begin to make a comment on your situation. LOL. Remember I couldn't even get but one of mine to bloom this year. I think you are already many steps ahead of me!

This message was edited Sep 7, 2005 8:02 PM

I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Doodlebug

Rockers? Rockers? You woke me up and I fell out of the hammock again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.