What effect does snail bait have on soil-amendment efforts?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I treated my container roses to some alfalfa tea. An hour later there were lots of slugs on the surface of the soil. I think they had been underground and came up to see what was going on. This stuff brought them out in the open in broad daylight. I picked them out of the containers and disposed of them. That was easy, but I'm not going to crawl under my rose bushes to collect slugs, so I'm thinking of sprinkling snail and slug bait around the rose bushes after I apply the alfalfa tea. Will the snail bait hurt the beneficial organisms in the alfalfa tea? I asked this question in the rose forum and they said that you people in the soil forum are more likely to know the answer.

(Zone 2b)

The alfalfa tea is going to soak into the soil, while the snail and slug bait will be sitting on the surface. So even if it does somehow inhibit some of the beneficial microbes you speak of, there will be plenty that escape deeper into the soil.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Spectrum. You've set my mind at ease.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

zuzu, i think you should crawl under your rosebushes anyway. i have to crawl under my loropetalum soon and i would like not to be the only one. LOL debi

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll give your advice the most serious consideration, Debi. In the meantime, you go crawl under the Loropetalum. I'll join you as soon as I've made my decision.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.