"Jack and the beanstalk" vine, bloomed today!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

It is also called sword bean.

I had half a dozen of them last year, growing up a martin house pole.

One weekend hubby decided to treat us to a lawn service that day, so we could spend more time doing fun things....the guy "weedwhacked" all six vines at the dirt line...(it was LOADED with buds, by the way...)

I've had to wait two years for this bloom, so forgive me if I am just a little excited to finally see a bloom, lol...

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

Here is another picture of a cluster in different stages:

The seeds are enormous and the pods are large enough for children to use as play swords, lol...
-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

That is really cool looking, I had never seen or heard of one before.. thanks so much!!

Janis

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Lovely! I remember when that happened, you were fit to be tied. Have you reached the point of being able to laugh about it yet? NO! LOL
I only got one seedpod last year and when I opened it they were almost all moldy! I planted the ones that looked ok, but they never came up. After seeing your pics I think I need to grow this again next year. I just love the flowers!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Taylor, this must really be a vigorous grower and love your Texas heat. If it is a bean, is it actually an annual then?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

That's a beauty. How large are the flowers?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Very Pretty, I have never seen it before. I hope you fired the lawn Service. LOL

Janis-thank you! I like it more for its novelty, but it kinda has a neat flower, huh?

Donna-yes, I am completely over it, lol...can't you tell since I am still mentioning it a year later? lol...
If I get any seeds from it, I'll share them with you.
I've had a lot of things not produce seed this year...they get pollinated, but drop off later...hope that won't be the case with these...

Joann-
Yes, it is a bean(legume) and seems to love the heat. I think I am watering it too much, though, because it has really washed out yellow leaves...yes, it is an annual...

Hi Trois!-
the flowers are ...hm...the top part is about an inch and the bottom part is about an inch and a half, so the whole thing probably two inches, altogether? Decent sized...

Picabo-Actually, it wasn't immediately apparent, so I didn't notice it until the next day, after the vines had time to completely wither in the hot sun, and those guys were long gone...
But, they were certainly never "invited to return", lol...
-T

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Did you grow it from seed? or did you buy it as a plant? I would love to try on of these next year. I am seriously hooked on vines LOL

Janis

Janis-
I grew it from seed(both times, lol...).
I got them in trades, but have seen them for sale on ebay here and there...

Quoting:
I am seriously hooked on vines
Yes, I know the feeling! lol...
-T

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV020

Apparently jack and the beanstalk vine and sword bean are two different, but similiar, legumes.

gorgeous flower, too

Scott-
The "jack and the beanstalk" is just a common name. If you look at my very first post, I mentioned that it ALSO is called sword bean.

Jack bean is in the same family(canavalia) but is not a similar vine. In fact, it is more of a bush. The sword bean is an actual vine.

The jack bean has white flowers and the sword has bright pink and much larger seeds than the Jack bean.

I was not confusing the two, they just have similar common names...
-T

thanks for the clarification. i have never heard of either before today!

are you going to eat the beans when they fruit? any idea what they taste like? I love exotic edibles :)

No, I've never tried them, and to be honest, if they set seeds, I'll be trading them, not eating them, lol...
-T

hahaha, a true seed maniac's life philosophy!

are they tendril climbers or do they twist like ipomoeas?

They twist
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.