Mini Dandy pots , and other reservoir

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all,
I was wondering does anyone use the mini dandy pots or other reservoir pots ? Where do you buy yours ?
TIA
Patti

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Patti I don't use the mini dandy pots. But I do use the kind that is like a double pot (one inside the other one and the outer one is, of course, the reservoir. I found some at gift shops but I've also seen them at Lowe's $6-7. I've found that keeping about 1" worth of water in the "reservoir pot" works best for my plants.

Hope this helps.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Vossner for your help. I will have to check out Lowes.
Patti

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Our Home Depot also carries them, and in fact I got my first self-watering pot at Giant (local grocery store)!

Some of my AVs seem to like the constant moisture of the self watering pots better than others. With a couple of plants, I keep the reservoir pot full, and with others I add water so the bottom inch or so of the inside pot is submerged and allow the pot to dry out for a few days every so often. A couple of my AVs just don't like self watering pots at all, so they've been moved to regular pots in deep saucers to facilitate bottom watering.

If you're using self watering pots or wicking your pots, be sure to lighten your potting mix by using about half perlite. Some people also add a little charcoal too.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Critterologist for your help.
Patti

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I love the self watering pots of any kind...I think it is going to save all my violets from my ever loving but forever over watering hands...lol

I just started using few of the Oyama pots and I think I like them best.

MsC

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm no expert, but I wick things... And... being a college student, I've taken to crushing styrofoam for perlite (much cheaper ;). I'm probably going to get a slew of reasons not to do that, now that I posted it. But, it seems to work for me... we'll see if my plants start blooming dixie cups!

Sarah

Edited to say: Of course, then I could use all those dixie cups for seed starting... hmm... I am SICK! :)

This message was edited Aug 22, 2005 11:53 PM

Lebanon, IN

I have some of the 2 part self watering ceramic pots, lavender and flowered that I don't need. I would be willing to sell them cheap if someone is interested. Email me if you want to see a picture.

Silver Spring, MD

I like wicking, too. Critterologist hit the nail on the head. Be sure you lighten the soil.

Nanna

I went looking for oyama pots (to see what they looked like) and stumbed into this on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Onion-Handle-African-Violet-Pot_W0QQitemZ7707449207QQcategoryZ20516QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this seller has another one with has a red pepper handle. I thought they were kinda cute.

My favorite AV pots are by Lotus international. Butterfly Gardens by Robin, located in Spring Texas sells a nice variety. Look her up in gardenwatchdog.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's the site: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3709/ Linda

thanks for linking rdt, I don't know why I never remember to do that

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Believe it not I like looking things up to post. I usually like to lurk and fill in the Blanks. LOL Linda

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks the site RDT

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.