Jacob Cline Monarda

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I was told that when planting Jacob Cline Monarda in So California, it was necessary to locate it in a shady place. Does anyone know how much shade? The 'Violet Queen' is doing all right in half day shade but the Jacob Cline (Kline?) that I planted last Fall died in this year's Summer. I am going to try it again as I am determined to get a thriving butterfly/hummingbird garden by the end of the growing season 2006. It is not like the area is big (21' x 71') but time and expense are factors. If anyone can direct me where I can get info about monardas in So Cal, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chuck

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55390/index.html

Maybe this will help answer your question. Good luck :-)

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

You might also find additional information here: www.floridata.com

I keep mine in the full blazing sun. Couldn't get 'em to bloom in shade at all.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

In fact, the web site I posted above says this:
" Beebalm is very susceptible to powdery mildew. Overcrowding and stress from too little watering can bring on the disease. Spray with a foliar fungicide or (better yet) plant mildew resistant cultivars. Beebalm does best in soil that is rich in organic matter. Deadhead to prolong the blooming season.
Light: Beebalm does well in full sun or partial shade. It may hang on in stronger shade but will not flower like plants that get plenty of sun."

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

mine is a native. It can take quite a bit of shade and still bloom, but seems more mildew susceptible. Since we have a rainy climate, it can't be because we let it get too dry. So hurrah for the new hybrids

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I have found out that monarda is not native to California but instead its close cousin, monardella, is native. If I have this wrong, I hope that someone will tell me. I have planted a monardella villosa and I am waiting for better root growth for a monardella antonina plant that I purchased last week. I still have the three monarda 'Violet Queen' that I planted Fall '04. They only had a few blooms last year until the heat got to them. I am hoping that by planting monardellas that I will have more success but I will keep the Monarda that I have just in case.

Thanks,

Chuck

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I had Violet Queen and I asked for advice because after a couple of years it lost its electric purple color. It was suggested that the dirt wasn't rich enough and I agree. It takes a lot of water so it doesn't loose its bottom leaves too. I had it under a walnut tree at first, and the 3rd year it was 4' tall. (1st year it sleeps, 2nd year it creeps, 3rd year it leaps!) Yes it does. I think it does better in sun if it's kept moist.

Thornton, IL

I plan to plant Herrenhausen ornamental oregano with my Ponticum bee balm this year, I lost one last year, have only one left but it's spreading. I'm hoping that by adding some mushroom compost to the soil, and a plant to shade the lower leaves, that the bee balm will really take off!

Oops! Forgot to say, it's in full sun, but the wild ones grow here in dappled shade (understory woods). Mulching will help to keep the roots moist, leaves need to be dry, with good air circulation.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2006 3:02 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.