Need help on finding a spiller for a raised bed

San Jose, CA

It isn't exactly a container, but it has some of the same challenges and issues.

I have a raised bed made out of stacked flagstone. I'm having a difficult time finding something to spill over the outside edge of the planter. I'd like something that's evergreen or attractive throughout the year, preferrably in a green or golden green color (since the flagstone is gray).

Here's my problem: The areas on the outside of the bed (near the flagstone) are hot, plus the outside edge loses moisture quicker than the interior areas. Also, the soil in the bed is fairly rich, so some mediterranean plants will not be very happy.

I tried Nasturtiums, but they burnt up in the sun on the hottest side of the planter. The ones that didn't burn up failed to bloom, probably because the soil is so rich.

Suggestions?

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I have different succulents stuck in between the rocks and they seem to have taken off. I'm going to try donkey tail next because I think that'd look interesting. When I get a chance, I'll take some pictures for you and see how you like it.

San Jose, CA

Yeah, I was thinking some sort of sedum might work. The other sedums I have don't seem to mind rich soil. My sedums don't look spectacular in the winter, but they're not horrible.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Although I'm in a colder zone, it gets pretty hot here in the summer, and I have a hot, dry little rock garden in the area between the sidewalk and the road. The 'Transparent Golden' creeping thyme that I planted there is just flourishing, and it may fit your space very nicely as well. I've planted creeping thymes in fairly rich potting soil, so I don't think your soil should bother them. I don't know if you were referring to herbs when you mentioned Mediterranean plants, but in my experience herbs like water and good soil as much as any other plant... the fact that they can do all right in poor, dry soil doesn't mean they won't do even better in moist, fertile soil, although they do generally hate "wet feet."

San Jose, CA

I just finished reading a book about Mediterranean plants like lavenders. The author said that they do best in poor, stony soil and will develop weak stems and fewer flowers with rich soil. That has been my experience in my yard too. Our summer weather is dry, but the soil is not poor.

I really like Thyme, so that could be a good solution. I searched online, but couldn't find a picture or source for 'transparent gold." Maybe a local nursery here might have it.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Tracy...Here is a site with the Transparent Gold Thyme....no photo though...

http://www.joycreek.com/t.htm#280-039

San Jose, CA

Thanks, Margie. Even without a picture, the description sounds tempting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.