Need picture/info on an "extra" iris

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I placed an order with Woodlands iris because they were the only one that had an iris I wanted. I got a HUGE extra plant with 4 babies already growing off of it. The label said 'Chestnuts & Robins extra' However, I can't find this iris anywhere. No picture, no description, nada. I think it maybe a tall bearded iris just by the size of the rhizome. Can anyone help?

Also, the plant I ordered was my first Dwarf Iris (8-15"). Are the rhizomes smaller than TBs? Also, do I need to do anything special to care for it or just treat it like one of my TBs?

Thanks

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You need to email Woodland's and ask for info about your extra iris. There is no iris registered by that name through 2004, which makes me think it might be one of their own '05 introductions.

Yes, SDB rhizomes are smaller than TB rzs. You can treat it like a TB, but SDBs generally need significant winter chill to perform their best. If you have a microclimate in your garden that gets more chill, that would be the best spot for your SDB.

Laurie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Chestnuts and Robins', Nicholson~2005

Tall Bearded. Blooms early at a height of about 34 inches. Standards are a shade of blue. Falls are the color of roasted chestnuts. Yellow beards are surrounded by bluish white lines that radiate away from the beards.

Foxy Lady x Flamenco

I copied this from the 2005 Nicholson's Woodland Iris Garden catalog. Congratulations on your brand new intro! Sounds like a nice one!

Thanks for the info. I will put it in my database and wait for the bloom. It sounds beautiful. Guess I should have ordered their catalog.

The rhizome they sent was just big. I couldn't believe it already has babies coming off of it. I have attached a picture of the two SDBs and the TB extra they sent.

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, Nicholson's gives good-sized, healthy rhizomes. I've ordered from them for 2 years now, and have never been disappointed.

flower- is their catalog worth ordering?

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

You'll get their catalog next year for free because you placed an order this year.

Unfortunately I've had a lot of problems with misfills from Nicholson's, so I've stopped ordering from them.

Neil

Thanks Neil. I had read in another thread about misfills. I decided to try just these irises as I couldn't find them anywhere else. Now I am just crossing my fingers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.