Datura....Moon plant.....Jimson Weed

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

New to Dave's Garden and am excited. The white trumpet flower is too easy to grow. Have had it for years and it reseeds so freely that it quickly becomes invasive. I would never give it up but spend a part of each day keeping it in bounds.
Be very careful where you plant it as it dies down each winter only to return in the spring twice as large as the year before. Must have given away and pulled up more than 500 under just one plant this year. Had to cut back the "mother plant" pretty severely lately as it was shading out an area of more than 6 feet square and I had lots of other things that I did not want to die. It is banned from some areas and called jimson weed....very invasive and toxic to livestock (and people). If you are allergic to poison ivy or such be wary of how you handle it. Planted the double purple and double yellow just a couple of weeks ago from plant stock. They seem to be very different from the above mentioned white trumpet. The entire plant, leaves, blooming, and seed are different. I am treating these last two as specimen plants and not putting them in the middle of the flower garden. If you watch closely, you will see that it takes the honey bees to help the trumpet open. They gently pull the corners apart and as they search for the nectar you can actually see the flower bloom. A gift from God.

Thumbnail by LouC
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Lou, do you have any seeds you'd like to swap of this, I am curious to see it grow in my garden to compare with my varieties.
Laurrie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been diligently deadheading so I could have the most blooms each night. However, I have one plant further out back and will let it go to seed. The seed head is very prickly and contains hundreds of seeds. At this time the seeds are still green and should be allowed to dry and turn brown on the vine before pulling. Since I am new to the site don't know the procedure for sharing. If you will direct me we are in business.

Thanks...

Thumbnail by LouC
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Lou, I would love a few of these seeds, too, with the mother of thousands plantlets.
Check out this and click on all pictures. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/23597/

You have lots of company growing jimson weed. We also have a native jimson weed but it isn't exactly like your inoxia, the flower is smaller and has a purple throat. The leaves aren't as nice. I finally got rid of it.
Johanna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.