Another first datura, or is it a brug?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I grew this plant from seed (Thomson&Morgan) labelled Brugmansia, but it looks more like a datura. Fully double. I had no idea it would grow so big, or the cannas. A second seedling is now loaded with buds and has 4 open blooms, sort of buff-coloured (the one pictured is looking yellow, just opened today). Any ideas what this is?
--Andrew in Ottawa

Thumbnail by andycdn
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Andrew, looking at the bloom pointing upwards and the leaves I would say you have Datura, but if you could, do you think you could get a closer shot of the bloom with a leaf in the pic?

Thanks for sharing, it's gorgeous!

Laurrie

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

It is pointing UP like Datura, but sure has the longest stem on the bloom that I have ever seen, your plant is huge, mine stays pretty small. sure is a lovely color. I too would like to see close up of bloom.

Doris

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I *think* the tall bloom is a canna ....

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

ooooops I see it now I took a close look. but the Datura is still pretty large.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

All my Brug leaves have smooth edges. My Datura has leaves similar to yours.
sidney

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Andy,

Didn't you post a picture back a couple of months on a thread in the Brug Forum to which everyone responded to repot, take out the canna???

Brugs & Daturas are from the same family and both of which can have the serrated leaves, you will have to post a better/closer picture before anyone can tell you which you have as it has grown tall and lanky. If the shorter yellow bloom is of that plant it would appear that it is a Datura

Judy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's a better, closer picture of my plant (the one in front, behind it are yellow Cannas), which folks have identified for me as a datura, despite Thomson and Morgan selling it as seed for a Brug. Too bad it only produced one bloom (so far) and that only lasted a day at its peak (this photo taken two days later, alas).

Yes, Judy, this is the same plant... I looked at the pot after everyone told me to take out the cannas, but things were just too inter-grown. I would have wrecked all the roots. Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Thumbnail by andycdn
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Andrew, Yes it is a datura I would guess without seeing the bloom fully open up close, that it's possibly the datura metel triple yellow "Chlorantha", just watch where the bloom is now, seedpod will start forming there (a ball that will get about size of golf ball) will contain your seeds, when it's turns brown it's usually ready to harvest. You will probably get more blooms along the way, but with your zone being 4b, your wintery months might be alot closer than I think, if worse comes to worst, drag the whole pot inside garage or somewhere for the winter (or long enough to get your seed to start next year)

You can take your canna out in the fall when you store it, but yes, I would pot seperate next year as you see just how large both can get, that's how we all learn!!!!

Laurrie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.