Growing JM's In Containers

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Anyone here do it? Particularly those folks who, like me, experience cold winters?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have three JM in pots. They are in ceramic pots taht have, so far, not broken in winter. In winter, I place the plants, pot and all, up next to a very large mock-orange. They are covered in snow much of the winter. The mock-orange blocks the coldest winds. The pots often freeze solid but so far, no problems with the plants. I have Red Pygmy, Aka shigitatsu sawa and Ukigumo growing this way. They are still small plants just under 2 feet.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

That's what I'm think of - ceramic. I have a small 1-1/2' - 2' "Orangeola" JM that would look absolutely perfect in this large outer-glazed ceramic pot I saw at Lowe's the other day. Pot is probably around 20" across.

Although winters here in VA are relatively mild, we do still get some ice, snow, & at least a couple of weeks of really frigid temps. And while I do have facilities where the tree could be brought indoors, as a temperate plant, I'm not sure that would be good for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.