Help! River Birch sapplings infested!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I thought this was some kind of virus and I was going to prune all of it off, then I realized it is not.
Here it is on the front of a leaf, the next photo will be the back of same leaf. How do I get rid of this? Is it eggs or aphids?
Thanks in advance.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

And the back, although I just re-examined and found these attached to both side on some leaves.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Sidney,

I'm not real good at the woes and foes things, but does that maybe look like a kind of scale?

I think Jnana would know what that might be. Try getting her attention or when I see her tomorrow I will ask her to look in here.

Molly

Thanks.
;)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ewwwww!! I have no idea :((

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

They're leaf galls caused by an insect laying its eggs. Since you know the species of tree that's infested, you can look up photos of insect damage caused by insects which river birch trees host. I looked up leaf galls for river birch trees and found eriophyid mites cause galls, but there are other insects that do, too. From what I remember, galls are unattractive, but not deadly to the tree...But it may depend on the insect.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2005 11:16 PM

Thanks, Kimberly.
I had galls in the back of my mind too.
I sprayed with an insecticide, which I normaly would not and got a real good ant sting while doing so. I have many 1 & 1/4 inch long anole lizards and don't want to harm them.
I see them spreading from one to another.
Auuugh
sidney

Thanks GW, I found a real good NC site via google and found the name of another insecticide and Sevin that would work on these. Trees came from NC, so could have come with the trees. I will make sure I properly discard all refuse from these with EXTREME care.
Thanks for the nudge.
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.