dense shade bed?

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

i'm having trouble finding things that will survive in a dry, densely-shaded bed. to give you an idea of how shady it is, maidenhair fern is doing alright but my nasturtiums are struggling and i alreay killed a lamium and fiber-optic grass.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I have an area in dense shade that I am in the process of planting, but it gets quite a bit of moisture. If I run across anything doing my own research, I will let you know.

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Give Geranium nodosum a shot. It isn't the most exciting Geranium in the world, but it's more interesting than the various ground covers that might also be willing to take up residence in dry shade, and it is one of the few plants I have ever seen that actually seems to like the conditions you describe. The only problem is that it isn't widely available here in the States yet, but a quick check of the net showed that Digging Dog has it. I think they are asking a bit much for what is a very modest Geranium, but if you don't mind waiting a few years, a couple of starters would spread out nicely for you, even in the dark and dry. Or, if you wanted to plant it in a less shady place with some moisture for a year or two, the stuff would spread like wild fire for you, and be a good candidate for transplanting into the shady area.

-Greg

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have had good luck with Yellow Archangel in both sun and shade. It has variagated foliage and gives a nice little show of yellow flowers. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55026/index.html

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Yellow Archangel is a Lamium, and he hasn't had success with it. Mine will grow in the darkest shade, but it pouts and wilts back if it dries out. For groundcovers, one of the Vincas would probably be more tolerant of dry conditions than Lamium.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

How about Epimediums?

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I just realized I should also have done an advanced search for plants using naien's specifications. For this search, I used zone 9b, full shade, drought tolerant plants, and came up with 99 results.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/advanced.php?nn%5B16%5D=0&nn%5B1%5D=0&nn%5B2%5D=0&nn%5B3%5D=17&nn%5B4%5D=4&nn%5B5%5D=0&nn%5B6%5D=0&nn%5B7%5D=0&nn%5B8%5D=0&nn%5B9%5D=5&nn%5B23%5D=0&nn%5B10%5D=0&nn%5B12%5D=0&sname=Plants&Search.x=39&Search.y=11

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I believe I have the same conditions in my yard. You are in a warmer zone but the Heuchera seem to be fairly happy there (at least they haven't died from neglect!) they come in a variety of colors so you can get some color without trying to find flowers.. Flowering plants for deep shade are hard to find. Moneywort is also doing fine. I have recently purchased a varietyof ferns.. japanese painted.. Christmas, Uncrested lady, and Autumn and so far they are happy

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

maybe liriope would work....I have variegated liriope in some shady dry areas and it seems to like it and is rather attractive and even blooms in late summer... http://www.ag.fvsu.edu/html/publications/teletips/lawn%20and%20garden/shrubs%20and%20vines/734.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.