smoke tree (bush?) Cotinus please help

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I have a new, small, smoke tree(or bush?) Suddenly leaves have started dropping from the tips of branches with little or no discoloration. What could it be?
Dave

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I've heard they can get scab but you said there was no discoloration. Maybe it is just transplant shock? Is it brand new? Did you let it get dry?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

DUE TO ITS DARK COLOR, IM NOT SURE IF ITS DISCOLORED. ITS NOT SHRIVELLED. IT HAS BEEN VERY DRY HERE AND I LET IT GET DRY LAST WEEK.
Thanks grikdog.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Dave, be careful not to keep it too wet either. They are candy to Verticillium, and cannot stand poor drainage for that reason. Soak it good, then let it dry down before watering again.

Guy S.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks Guy! Do you think it might be scab? The trouble has at least slowed down. Maybe it was thirst?
Dave

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

It probably was just dry. If it came in a container instead of B&B, and you didn't unravel the circling roots enough, it might not have rooted in beyond the original container mix. This could be fatal sometime in the future -- so if you suspect this problem, dig it back up when it's dormant, wash out most of the potting mix, spread the roots, and replant it (not too deep) like you would a bare root tree.

Guy S.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks Guy! It was in a container (though I'm usually pretty good at opening up the roots).The weather here has been very hot & dry though. I'll keep an eye on it.
Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.