Little worms on celosia

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know what these are? Notice the black eggs or seeds and webs are on the leaf (that you can't see). At first I thought the black stuff was seeds because the celosia have tiny black seeds and they are shedding. The worms were really bad about a month ago and I dusted them with Green Light Many Purpose Dust (Deltamethrin). It seemed to help but the worms had played havoc with the leaves so I pruned the worst ones. Now I noticed that there are more leaves eaten and I found these little critters. I would like to use something next time that can be sprayed because the dust looks yukky on the plants and we haven't gotten rain in forever so it stays on forever, maybe thats good. :^( :^)?

Thumbnail by barbur
Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's another view. I forgot the size, they're about 3/4 inch long.

Thumbnail by barbur
Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

HELP!!!!! I'm bumping this up because I don't want to lose my celosia. These worms seem to LOVE my celosia (cockscomb) and aren't really bothering other things. I think there is now a second litter. lol

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have those on 4 o'clocks, asclepias, gomphrena.......they're a type of leaf roller. I've been hand picking, but this weekend I just whacked the plants back to the ground and bagged the clippings. They can ruin the leaves overnight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.