unk Siberian

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Anyone know which one this is?

A friend in Georgia has them in her yard.

TIA

This message was edited Aug 18, 2005 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That's not a Sib. In fact, I don't think it's even an iris. It is an irid, though. I'm having a difficult time remembering its botanical name, but I know I've seen pics of it on the iris-photos mailing list. It's one of those irids like African Iris or Walking Iris which isn't an actual iris but is in the same botanical category.

I *think* you'll have to grow that plant as a houseplant.

Laurie

I was gonna ask a friend in Georgia for some .

She lost the name tag but thought they were Sibs.

Sure is pretty.

It looks like something I've seen before but can't remember where ?

Will be interesting to find out if I need to make more room for anudder houseplant , lol

I have a ton of Walking Iris already .

If nothing else ,I hope I can ID the plant for her.

Thanks for your input Laurie

This message was edited Aug 17, 2005 12:11 PM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

It's called 'Dietes' or 'Moraea Iridioides'~South African Iris. Sometimes called the fortnight lily. Here's a link to some pics of it here on DG.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1882/index.html

Sure wish I could grow them, but they don't tolerate cold winters.

There's also another type. It's referred to as the 'Holy Trinity Plant'. The flower is pure white with a bit of yellow and purple.

They're both gorgeous!

Thanks ever so much, I don't think she will be disappointed to get this info.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

scooter~

You're welcome. If you get some from her, make sure to grow them inside. I can't even grow them in zone 7. I think the coldest zone they'll grow in is 8b.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Those are planted alot in Floridian Lanscapes around condo complexes etc. They are beautiful! I would love to try grow some myself, I never knew what they were called though. Like a lot of beauties, the do not have a fragrance. But I can tell you this, planted in mass they are stunning! Thanks for clearing up the mystery!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

beautiful, i would like to to.. lovely...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.