Netted Chain Fern (Woodwardia areolata)

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

These grow wild in the darkest, moistest parts of my garden, particularly along the stream I have flowing through the back of my property. Here is a picture of a fertile frond, which emerge around midsummer. I have heard them described by a few people, not just kids, as "spooky". They do look rather like big green centipedes, and have a primitive appearance, but I like them.

-Greg

Thumbnail by gregr18
Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

This is a clump of netted chain ferns, showing the sterile, photosynthetic fronds that emerge in the spring, well before the fertile fronds start showing up.

Edited to note that there is also a fertile frond visible in the left side of the photo.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2005 12:35 PM

Thumbnail by gregr18
Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

On my property, where there are wild chain ferns, there are wild royal ferns (Osmunda regalis). This is a mature frond of royal fern, with a netted chain fern visible in the background of the bottom right corner. In the foreground towards the bottom right corner is the omnipresent Sensitive Fern (Onoclea sensibilis). The large leaves are fading skunk cabbages (Symplocarpus foetidus).

Thumbnail by gregr18
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

gregr18,
Thanks for sharing! Do you know the proper name of the netted chain ferns? I found a single fern this year that I do not recall planting and it looks a lot like your netted chain ferns. I will have to take picture to compare. the closest fern that it reminds me of is a mutated Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides) yet different. If this is the same fern I would have to agree that it looks prehistoric. Well, I have to go, DH is bring his mom home for dinner and overnight stay for doctor appointment tomorrow. I will try and take picture of my fern.
Sound like you have nice piece of property, please share more pictures.
S

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi S, Yes, the fern is Woodwardia areolata. A lot of people mistake this fern for Onoclea sensibilis , the Sensitive Fern, especially examples of Sensitive Fern that are growing in the shade. Sensitive Ferns that grow in the sun are easily distinguishable because they turn a shade of light green that you just don't see in the Woodwardia. They both have broad pinnae that meet and kind of "web" along the mid vein of each frond, and I sometimes mix them up if I don't look carefully. The fertile fronds of the Netted Chain are an obvious giveaway in the summer, though.
-Greg

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, silly me, I noticed the name when I came back to the thread;) I will definately have to check it out, I think this particular fern looks different. Onoclea sensibilis grows wild in our yard. Now you have me wondering --I am going to have to do some close comparision. It is growing in a damp place and if I remember correctly Onoclea sensibilis likes it damp. My luck it will be another Onoclea sensibilis.

Your netted chain ferns are gorgeous!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hello again,
I have been busy and not spending much time out in yard. But I did take a picture of this fern that I believe is different than Onoclea sensibilis.
Do you think it is Woodwardia areolata?

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Yes, that is Woodwardia areolata. Aside from the presence of the fertile frond in this picture, this fern's fronds aren't lobed the way that an Onoclea's would be.

-Greg

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the ID. It sure looks prehistoric.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.