what veggies can i grow in this

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i get these for free from the flower dept. in sams club. they are made in holland and i can't find any markings that would tell me the gallon size.
the container has sides that slant in and the measurements are
10 inches high
the bottom width is 8 inches
halfway up it is 9 inches
the top is 10 inches

would i be able to plant something like one cherry pepper or 1 squash or some sugar snap peas, or bush beans into the container. any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are a good start, --also ginger, and Turmeric, and Strawberries. I also get a good crop of most peppers from a pot.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

My potted Squash is usually stunted, I don't know if others have the same trouble or not.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i am going to put all my veggies in containers this year. i already am growing grape and sun goldens in the 5 gallon containers. looking for something that would fit in those containers.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've found that most pepper plants will do well in a 10 or 12 inch diameter container (some varieties just get too big). Herbs work well, too... thyme and oregano will do OK in a shallower container, but basil would appreciate the extra depth, as would sage, rosemary, lavender, scented geraniums, etc.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I agree with critter - that is the perfect size for a small pepper like Thai Dragon, Serrano, Chile de Arbol, Cayenne, Fish Pepper. You can also put in bush beans, I have bush beans growing in all of my hanging baskets. That particular container you have is about a gallon size container, you could also plant some spinach in there.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Squash does not like small pots. Lettuce does not care though. Not sure about chard.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks everyone for your advice.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chard will grow happily in a container of that size, and a cultivar like 'Bright Lights' will be very decorative, too. If you're looking for sweet pepper varieties, 'Sweet Pickles' does well in a container of that size for me, and I'm thinking 'Gypsy' hybrid sweet peppers might be compact enough to do well also. If you want to try chile peppers like the ones kanita mentioned, I should be able to send you an assortment of seeds this fall.

Bush beans in hanging baskets..... what a neat idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.