Snap beans in a half barrel

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's the first flower on my 'Contender' snap beans. Yippee! These seeds were sown on July 19.

Thumbnail by Quyen
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Looking great Quyen! All of my bush beans are in my hanging baskets.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

How tall do your beans get, kanita? How many beans to you fit into a basket? Also, how deep are your baskets? Maybe you can post a picture. Please?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

would i be able to grow string beans and sugar snap peas in a five gallon container?? . if i can, how many could i put into each one?? thanks
frank

Hey Quyen! My beans get about 18" tall. The hanging basket is 16" in diameter, and 10" deep. I got them at Big Lots for $3.99 each. I put one whole packet of seeds in each basket. Lightly cover with soil and water with chamomile tea for fast germination. This is a picture of seedlings at 10days old.

Frank, a 5 gallon pail could hold at least a pack of seeds, although string bean roots aren't that deep you could put half a pack in a 1 gallon container, which I used to use before I got the hanging baskets.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2005 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by kanita

And this is a picture of beans at 30 days. I forgot to mention that I use Osmocote fertilizer mixed into the potting mix, and after that, I feed with Grow Power organic fertilizer 5-10-10.

Thumbnail by kanita

An upclose view of 30 day old Cherokee Yellow wax beans producing lots of pods.

Thumbnail by kanita
Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, kanita, your bean baskets look great. I didn't know that we could put that many beans in one container. Here I am, diligently spacing them 6" apart.

Will definitely give the basket a try. There's a Big Lots close to my house. Guess where I'm heading tomorrow?

Thanks for the pics. They are worth several thousand words :-)

I wonder if I can grow cucumbers in a basket.....

Yup!!! I grew cucumbers this spring. Bush variety Greensleeves. Guess where I got the seeds, yep, Big Lots for 5 cents a pack.

kanita

I forgot to clarify that I grew the cucumbers in my hanging baskets. The same two you see in the pictures, when I was done with the cucumbers, I took them out and put in bush beans. I also grow peppers in hanging baskets, my black cherry tomatoes, strawberries,spinach, peas. Lots of things

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

kanita - thanks so much for the info i also thought i would have to space them several inches apart. i have loads of those 1 gallon containers and i will be putting them to good use next season. ths pics look great. thanks again.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

kanita - about the beans and peas. can you plant that many if they are bush type??
thanks

Yes Herbie, the ones in my pictures are bush beans. Cherokee yellow wax, an heirloom. In my package, there were about 20 good seeds that I planted in the hanging basket. Bush beans can be planted 2" apart. It's pole beans that need to be planted 6" apart as they can grow to 8' tall.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks so much. i am going to try both beans and sugar snap peas in my earth boes next year and its good to know i can put alot of them inside.

Quyen, how are your beans doing?

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

They're not speaking to me right now, Kanita. I put a few more bean plants in the same barrel and I think that made them mad. They have not been flowering. I got a total of 12 beans from that first flush of flowers. I haven't given up on them yet but I do have a few other green and purple ones going, as well. I start a new batch of seeds every 7 to 10 days. We like beans at this house :-})

So do I. My Cherokee Yellow ended up being shelling beans for me that I am now drying because I left them on too long before picking, which is okay by me. Today I am planting some Black Turtle beans for shelling.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.