Artichokes in zone 5b

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

Has anyone had success growing these? Is there a particular variety that produces in our "short" growing season here (most artichokes I've found take 180 days to mature)? Thanks,

Lindsey :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I've not tried to grow them, but a couple of neighbors near me had them when I lived in California. They like cool summers and mild winters, and grow especially well in northern California near Castroville, where fog from the Pacific moderates the weather. Why not try a plant in a large container that can be overwintered under a plastic tent? http://www.artichokes.org/

This message was edited Aug 20, 2005 6:58 PM

What a great idea! Thanks for the info.

(Zone 2b)

I'm actually attempting to grow them here, in zone 2, as a annual. I'll let you know if I find any varieties that work here, where the growing season is probably even shorter.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I wish I could recall the name of the variety for you, but there is an Artichoke specifically bred for northern/short-season climates. It's meant to be grown as an annual rather than perennial like other artichokes, thus giving you a full complement of artichokes the same season.

I seem to recall either Pinetree or Terretorial carrying it, tho aren't sure. If I can find it, I'll let you know.

I'm very interested in learning the name of the annual artichoke. I just discovered what I think is an artichoke on my plant--I am so excited.

Thumbnail by LarryDavid
Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Ooooh - start melting the butter!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.