photos of lily beds

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I know I'm new here, but I was wondering.............. ;o)
Can anyone post some pictures of your lily beds, either lily only or planted among your other perennials or whatever? I would like to see the effect so that I can get some ideas for my own garden. I am looking for more the 'whole bed' type photos than close ups of the lilies themselves. I've been working real hard trying to get my gardens the way I want and I need to see some pictures. ;o) Maybe I will post some pics soon and you all can give me some more ideas what to do with my flowerbeds...............
Thank you so much to anyone who replies.
Sherry

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I believe your proposal is quite acceptable.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a better example.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Sherry,
Here's a picture of our raised lily bed
Iowaron.

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic from last year.

Lilies between 2 Clematis growing up a trellis, annuals in the front.

Thumbnail by Moby
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Here's Regale with Golden Splendor. I guess I fall into the same trap as most garden photographers. I take pictures of the individual flowers rather than the entire garden. I didn't realize that until I started looking for lilies in the garden setting rather than individual pictures of lilies. I have a new mission next year. Thanks Sherry!
Iowaron

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Here is one patch.
Inanda

edited for spelling

This message was edited Aug 16, 2005 3:58 PM

Thumbnail by inanda
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Here are some in the garden.

Inanda

Thumbnail by inanda
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Wow, Ron, what are the white lilies in your photo? Gorgeous. Do you have trouble with rabbits? Lilies seem to be a favorite around my yard. I try to spray them, but it seems the bunnies will eat them to the ground if I'm not watching close. And if they don't do that, they will eat all the foliage off as high as they can stretch. Just curious what might work for you (other than shooting them - we live in town!) Thanks. Linda

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yeah...well... Linda, I live in town too. But I still keep the BB gun handy. What do you use for spray?

Sherry, I just poke my lilies in the back of the border, between daylily clumps.

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Linda, the white lilies are 'Regale'. They are division IX (Species) and as near as I can tell the cultivar is 'White Perfection'.
We were cursed with rabbits and deer every spring until I discovered a product named "Plantskydd" this spring. (www.plantskydd.com) I sprayed the lilies as they emerged and not a single bite was taken. Not a nibble. In fact, our neighbors were upset that we ran the rabbits and deer out of our yard and into theirs. ONE application lasts the growing season. It absolutely worked for me. Now the deer are back to eat the apples and cherries that fall to the ground, but not the lilies and hosta. Others may have different results, but I am a very satisfied customer.
Ron

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Let's see, my rabbit food consists of lilies, tulips, and asters primarily, although periodically they will decide to try something different. We have a large, open school yard behind our yard and if you look out there just before dark, you can see the little darlings in droves. And once the babies are out munching, oh my...................The product I use is called "Liquid Fence". It does seems to work as long as you are right on top of it when the plant first emerges and re-spray after a rain. Wandasflowers suggested putting dog poop all around the plant in question............i have the dog and actually tried this, but evidently my rabbits don't care if it's there or not. I think in the spring I'll give Ron's product a try. I like the idea of one application per season - that might be something I can keep up with! Linda

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Wow! Thanks to everyone who replied. This is just what I was looking for.

jmorth, thank you for getting the replies started. Ohhh, I love the lilies up front in your second picture. And some very pretty lilies you have there. They must be different varieties. Thanks for posting the pics. ;o) Are the pinkish red flowers in the first picture near the front lilies?

Iowaron, just beautiful! Love the second picture. Thank you for posting. ;o) I've learned to take pictures of the 'whole' garden so I can look back and compare what the beds looked like in previous years. Very amazing the changes that take place. Sometimes it's hard to remember just how small things really started out. Good luck with your mission. ;o) Will look forward to seeing the pics.

Moby, Beautiful! Are those Stargazers? How long does it take for them to get that big and have that many blooms? Thanks for the planting tip too. That's what I was thinking.....pop them in here and there?

inanda, Beautiful! And I love the river view in the second one too! Thank so much for posting these.

So thanks everyone and thanks for making me feel welcome here. And to anyone else, keep those pics coming!!!
Sherry

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Here is a pic of part of the latest bed when the asiatics just started blooming. It is a lasagne bed planted last fall with lilies and this spring with other perennials to round it out.... The lilies were planted in side wire mesh cages to protect from voles as last year they were a big problem.

Thumbnail by esw
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sherry, we're always happy to have another garden friend and happy to have you!

Yes, those are Star Gazers. Those pictured above are of varying ages but should look like that by their second year.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm going to copycat Moby's clematis and lily planting. It's a beautiful solution to a problem spot that's bugged me for a long time. I loved all the pics and please keep posting. You all should be proud.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sherry,
The reddish flowers in 1st pic are flowering tobacco. You can ascertain their placement in the 2nd pic. They are situated to the left of center in front of the corner of the garage.
The lilies so prominent in foreground of 2nd pic are Lady Alice.
J.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is the only decent shot I could find of a lily patch. These originally came from Lowes labled 'pink asiatic', so no telling what the name is. When I bought them, I got 2 bags of bulbs to plant all together, but at the last minute decided to separate them. Thank goodness; the second bag turned out to be orange!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow! How many bulbs were in that bag?!?

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

Moby your in lincoln maine im in milo
got a question on the astic's and orientals they mulipy right

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm in Nebraska. What is your question?

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Gemini,
That is beautiful! Thanks for posting the picture. These really help me get an idea of what to do with my beds.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

esw,
Beautiful! Thanks for posting the picture. These are all a big help to me.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Moby,
Great. I can't wait. I planted a bag this spring of mixed lilies. I just bought them at Walmart. They bloomed, but not that big or tall and not that many blooms. There were a couple of Stargazers in the bag. :o) We'll see how they look next year.

Can you tell me if there's a special forum I can post pictures of my garden in to maybe get some input on what I should or shouldn't add to it.

And thank you for making me feel so welcome.

I already have some daylilies coming for just the price of the postage. How cool is that!!!
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Twiggybuds,
I can't blame you for copying Moby's arrangement. It's beautiful. Post pics when you can.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

jmorth,
Thanks for the info. It's very pretty. And I love the 'Lady Alice'. Very nice.
Sherry

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Moby, that was just a bag of 4 bulbs, 4 years ago, now there are about 20. The capacity for them to reproduce is the great thing! More, more, more lilies!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I really didn't need to come over here. Daylilies/Iris/Hosta should be enough. These pics are so pretty!

Moby, what type of clematis is around your lilies? It looks like a frame. I think the pink and white are my favorites. I only have the old fashion tiger lilies and a few yellow dwarf ones.

A newbie question. Do they all bloom at different time periods?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi bluegrass. Most of the Asiatics bloom in early summer; they're my biggest color splashes in June. Then the trumpets and some of the orienpets take over the show in late June and early July. In mid July the Orientals carry me through till August.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The lilies I grow start in late May and go till about now. My progression starts with the Asiatics, then the LA Lilies, Orienpets,. and Orientals. My last blooming lily is an heirloom species called rubrum (illustrated). I actually have 25 different named varieties that fall in the above divisions.
There are a couple more divisions available as well.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Have any of you seen the new Asiatic-Oriental hybrid lilies? I got the fall 2005/spring 2006 catalog from The Lily Garden and there are 2, 'First Crown' and 'Fancy Crown'. Yet another "gotta have"!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Thre were some at the recent NALS show. Very good looking. Quite a few in the 'seedlings' category so am sure more will be coming into the market before long, when they have been thoroughly tested and named.
Inanda

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Bluegrass ~ the clematis (2) is Comtesse De Bouchaud and is grown on a rectangular trellis. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/54664/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.