cannas

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

This big canna is a big'un. Does anyone recognize it ?

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

about to bloom

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

I do believe that is the King HUmbert Red. I have some that look just like that.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

thank you...I will watch as the bloom develops but I needed a starting place :)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Show us a picture when in bloom. For now, though, I'd also speculate that it might be "Ambassador," but the proof will be in the blooming.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

ahh....I will certainly post the bloom. It was in bud yesterday.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i was thinking it might be "intrigue" but i dont think the leaves are maroon enough. cant wait for the bloom! debi

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I traded for it last year from a lady professor in Indiana. She had won a prize at a local flower show with it but had no idea of the ID.

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like Intrigue to me too.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

what a big plant...what a tiny bloom :)

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

looking like Intrigue

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

maybe if the leaves are "pointy" enough. the variation on the leave photo in the daves database looks very alike.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

At first i wanted to lean towards "intrigue" but I think the leaves on your plant are a little too red. intrigue's coloring is darker.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

darn...they are right lovely...would love to know exactly what it is ?

Foley, AL

It looks like a colocasia giganta in that first pic in the left hand ....

ely

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

yes. a kind DG person shared that with me this spring and it certainly is gigantica ! :)

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

It looks 'purpurea' to me.
Check out purpurea/Russian Red to compare.
~Alice

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

sorry...i'm thinking it's Canna indica 'Red Stripe'...ok the leaves are huge...........flowers are tiny, brilliant red flowers and somewhat disappointing because you'd think because of the growth in the leaves they should have huge big bright flowers. it's actually grown for it's foliage not flower. some of the leaves can get up to 3 feet across...:) i had one that grew 22 feet last year! (they are supposed to be up to 8 feet tall...don't believe it! i have the picture on another canna thread).

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 11:43 AM

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

c. 'Red Stripe' is a purpurea, also.
I don't see much striping in these leaves, though.
But, perhaps it's the time of year when photographed.
It could be ...

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

really?? abutilon...i'm seeing striped leaves...but then again sometimes i see pink elephants...:)

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL @ tobee

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

you guys are so smart...even if you dont agree...LOL.. :)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well i don't have a close up of mine...darn...but see the ones towards the back...i looked at the close up above and they look the same. problem is some cultivars are sooooo similar that sometimes is just hard to tell! :) but fun to guess!

Thumbnail by tobee43
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

"Bee",
Are those impatiens spilling out of your cannas?
-- Pilgrim

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

benj.....why yes i spilled those impatients all over! that's not the end of the season they get about 2 feet higher by sept. we have to take em out with an axe!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

tobee, now you know that people in Florida have zone envy too. My Impatiens go in in November for the FL "Spring" planting. I missed it this year (knee replacement) and rushed a few containers two weeks ago. They are pretty now, but living on borrowed time! LOL They really hate the summer heat here.

I'm into my first time ever Canna mode now. If they don't do well for me, I'll just come back and look at your pictures.
Pati

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

You mean I actually IDENTIFIED a plant since I've been on the site?!!!
YEEEEEEEEEY!!!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

benj! Contrats!!! YOU DID!

Orlando, FL

22 ft tall. My gosh. I wouldnt want one like that. I prefer the dwarf varieties. More blooms less foilage. I cut them back after blooming and they spread faster. Forget the seeds. I just got a princess Di and I hope its as pretty as the pictures show. Fran
I love canna;s also .

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

sedone...i have dwarfs as well...it depends on the area i'm planting. some i want the height and other places i don't . for the back of the gardens when the foxgloves etc are peaking the really tall cannas come up as others are fading out....the cannas will give me color until late oct. the dwarfs are great for walkways and the such. but i love all sized....small, med and large! also since i do a lot of "texture" gardening i want the foliage not the flowers.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Tobee43, what a beautiful flower bed you have. With the cannas and the black EE's and the impatients, very very nice.

Linda

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks so much linda! i appreciate that!

This message was edited Apr 7, 2006 7:35 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.