potato habits

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

This is the first year I have grown potatoes in my raised beds (square foot gardening technique). When harvesting I noticed that the most plentiful potatoes, the best sized etc were hidden just under the boards used to divide my squares. Does any one know why and do you think I could use this info to advantage next year and place boards between all the plants?

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Could it be a moisture related thing? I used chopped-up dead leaves saved from last fall to mulch my potato plants, kept burying the vines till I ran out of leaves. It worked pretty well and I only watered about 5 times all summer despite our drought. Got lots of potatoes. My biggest ones are directly under the plants.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

haven't tried p[otatoes in my SF beds, but i believe Eileen hit the nail on the head. More moisture when you mulch!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Bet it's moisture; my largest potatoes were, w/o fail, directly under the drip tape.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

its 3 for 3 jagonjune! As much rain as we've been getting, think I'll leave my potatoes a while longer, as the plants have not yet died back,...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.