CONFUSION!!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I only planted 2 varieties of squash (Jarrahdale and Kobacha) near my Raised Bed, and this looks like neither!!!

If veeja or kachinagirl are out there HELP! Did one of you slip me something different in our trade??? Whatever it is, it looks awesome - it's about 8" across, and 6" long. I'd love to find out what it is so I know when to pick it!

Any guesses would be VERY appreciated! (BTW, I was gone for 3 days, and when I got back it was about 4 times the size and weight from before! I'm thinking "the squash that ate Carmel"!)

Thumbnail by Sequee
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Look like a Jarrahdale to me. Of course there are many cultivars of Kobocha, so one of them could look like your picture. Most of them are dark green tho.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes - all the Kabocha's that I saw were dark green, and I thought the Jarrahdale's were supposed to be a gray color. Ya think this one will be darkening on me before long?

I just went back and looked in the Plant Files - the one kachinagirl pictured was 15 pounds!!! Looks like i have a ways to grow! LOL!

Can hardly wait!

Thanks for your help!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

This baby is growing fast and furious - here's my size 9 to give you an idea on the size of this monster! i can hardly wait!!!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, I went to turn this baby today and she popped off the vine - weighing a fabulous 16 pounds! YUM!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And here's another that just sprang up a week ago. I'm guessing this one is the Kobacha.

Can you believe it - only one squash per plant again this year!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Victorville, CA

I got some "Sweet Asian Pumpkin" seeds out of a round robin and I have no idea what they are. They sounded interesting. There was no name on the baggie so I don't know who to ask about it. Any ideas? Your 16 pounder looks like a pumpkin.
-Juli

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes - the biggest thing I'VE ever grown! Now I just have to figure out what to do with it! Time to check the recipe forum, I guess!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.