one of my favorite "new" annuals!

petersburg, KY(Zone 6b)

hello everyone I'm a newbie just wanted to share some pictures. I've finally joined and able to look at everyones pictures and everythings so beautiful. to be honest I'm a flower freak, I truly love to garden. anyway this is one of my favorite annuals now. I don't know the proper name, I can only remember it as the austrailian fan flower.

Thumbnail by shellyp98
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Scaveola.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Shelly! Those are lovely. Hey, you don't live to far from me. Nice to see a neighbor. :) Welcome to DG!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Shelly, that's a right pretty garden you've got there.

I like that one too. I'll try to remember its name next spring when I'm looking for some to plant. Thanks, Pirl. the names always escape me. ~Blooms

petersburg, KY(Zone 6b)

hi, thanks for the welcome! badseed I noticed that earlier that we were neighbors!! This is my second year gardening and I believe I have found my passion!!! We have 19 acres in the country so I don't believe I will run out of space. I hoping to get a greenhouse soon, I just have to pick one out. thanks blooms I will post more pictures soon. thats just one plant it is huge and never has stopped blooming.
thanks everyone for making me feel welcomed!!!

Cambridge, ON(Zone 5b)

This has to be my favourite annual in the garden.....gazanias!!!

Thumbnail by sugarshokt

Welcome Shelly - how rude of me not to say it sooner. Enjoy all that DG has to offer!

Sugarshokt: I love gazanias, too. They're like the energizer bunny - they just keep on going all summer long!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful gazania picture.

Shelly, have you seen all the various calibrochas ormillion bells? I thought if you liked scaveola you might like these too. I made a hanging basket a couple years ago of just scaveola and it was quite pretty.

Lenjo - I love them, too, and have them in containers - what a display for such a low price!

petersburg, KY(Zone 6b)

good morning and nice to meet everyone!!! I do have the gazanias too, arizona sun I think thats what its called they bloom like crazy. I have too many favorites :O) I have the million bells in a hanging basket and for some reason they taken a turn for the worse and looking pretty bad right now. I'm really starting to like lantana too, it's considered an annaul here.

Thumbnail by shellyp98

Shelly - Lantana brings all the colors of your lovely garden together. It's a big mainstay of the whole theory of Color Echoes - come on over and find it under Perennials and visit with us, too!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Shelly. Your scaveola is doing wonderful. I planted one late in the season and it is not doing nearly as well as yours. Do you fertilize it?

Susan

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Lantana is one of my favorites, I love the multicolors in one flower. And lantana has a great smell too. Scaveola, lantana, calibrochas etc are all called premium annuals here as they really are not winter hardy. I love them all. Shelly your picture looks like it has angelonia in it too. That is a great little premium annual too. Most gardeners put their premium annuals into containers but I think you did great by putting them into the ground. So pretty. It is amazing what the hybridizers are doing with the so called premium annuals. Every spring I am very pleasantly surprised to see all the new colors. Have you seen all the new nemesias?

Edited so I could add this link to show pictures of nemesia.
http://www.gardenandleisure.com/products/wsut124222.html

This message was edited Aug 21, 2005 7:14 AM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Pirl, speaking of multicolors like the lantana in the garden, I know this is the annual forum but don't you think some of the pulmonarias do the same kind of thing? They are such sweet little perenniels.

Lenjo: I've never had one, and to my knowledge never seen one! I'm falling way behind!

petersburg, KY(Zone 6b)

lenjo: Your right I do have angelonia too. I was really happy with that, this was my first year with it. It has a nice frangrance too. I will definatley buy that again, it has never stopped blooming and has kept a nice shape as well. I have the scaveola in a couple of containers and I like it much better in the ground. Since I'm pretty much a beginner at gardening why are they premium annuals and why are they mostly for containers? Just curious, I did see the nemesia this year didn't get any though. I think I might have been scared it would just kinda burn out, my alssyum looks horrible this year.
This year I've really been happy with lantana, scaveola and the angelonia they will definately always have a place in my garden.
Susan- I do use MG as a fertilizer, but this is a first year garden so I also added horse manure in the spring. Beens we have 5 horses it is very plentiful.

Thumbnail by shellyp98
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Arlene, a link to pulmonarias.http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=pulmonaria+%2Flungwort&Search=Search
Before they did a lot of hybridizing work and came up with new varieties there was just a simple little lungwort that had like pink buds but when it opened it looked blue. So on a plant you would have both colors as they were blooms and buds.

Shelly, premium annuals I believe would be perenniels in frost free zones like some of the areas of Florida or California. They would be only annual here as we get freezing weather. They are used dominantly in containers because they trail and cascade.

petersburg, KY(Zone 6b)

gotcha, now I understand.

Thanks Lenjo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.