Hellebores

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have a small patch of hellebores, maybe 10 plants. I would like to move them. Can I do it now?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sure...I do...just keep them watered

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, it makes sense, they are more dormant now than earlier , at least it seems so to me.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine has been in bloom since April! We are just sitting around marveling at it. It is the 1st & only one we have.... but what's up?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

That is interesting, must be like whatever conditions you have provided. What are those conditions? Lots of water and shade?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It has to be the left over bloom which lasts a long time. They do not bloom in August.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I keep telling it... LOL but there was only one in April..

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Can't wait to get some in the ground, Lenjo.

Nick

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I read in the High Country Gardens catalog that they can be a pretty drought tolerant plant. I have an area under fir trees that is so dry. I wonder if they could be moved there. It is not dense shade there as the trees are trimmed up very high. Any ideas?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Try a few there..they should do alright and then you can move the rest if they seem to like it. Are you talking about Orientalis?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am not even sure what the particular cultivar. I bought little seedlings at a fundraiser plantsale once and so I really don't know. They bloom white and really aren't anything really special.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I am doing some trading of my hellebores on the plant trading forum. I just dug up the whole clump. Divided what I wanted and just planted it in another location. The leaves are what I like. They would really look nice in a raised bed where you can see the flowers. I just keep it watered. Linda

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If the flowers are all white (all of them) they are probably niger. some of the Orientalis have whiteish blooms but the niger is pretty much all white.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I know a place where i am going to try to get the pink one, I believe it is the Lenten Rose?

Nick, I wish you were closer I would just let you come and dig them up for your own garden.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't know how anyone can make a statement that they don't bloom in August. My Helebores bloom from the time they work theirselves out of the crusted snow in about April, until the snow covers them in the winter about December.

I don't have them planted anywhere special. They don't get much sun.

They do this every year. Jeanette

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

What kind of Hellebores are you talking about? Certainly not Orientalis, Niger or Foetidus....They all bloom late winter into early spring and then set seed. There is nothing but green foliage during the summer and fall and early winter. The niger blooms earliest (Christmas Rose) and the Foetidus next and then the Lenten Rose (Orientalis). I would sure love to have one that blooms all summer! (if there is such a thing).

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

My Heleborus are Corsicans. And you are correct in that they are not getting new blossoms now. These are such a strong grower that the blooms I am seeing now are holdovers from the spring and they will stay on the plant until the snow covers them. This is what they look like now.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.