Lemon Wave

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Question...I just purchased two Lemon Wave Hydrangeas...and after I got them home found out that they may not do well in zone 5. Hoping I may be able to push the limits on this one. Do any of you grow this in zone 5, and if so...do you have to protect it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Deb

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Still waiting for an answer on this one....Do I need to pot them up and bring them inside the basement for the winter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Deb, post this in the cool climate forum. maybe you will get a bit.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Deb, I think we're a little cool for that variety of hydrangea. Because you already bought them, I would surely put them in a protective place, up against the house... and mulch them heavily when they die back for the winter. Good luck, keep me posted if they survive, I'd like to have one myself.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

are they lemon in color?

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

They are very pretty....see link below

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/49274/

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Deb
If you still have them in the ground. Build a chicken wire fence around the hydrangea about one foot taller than the plant. Fill with pine needles, straw, or other insulating material. Cover with a piece of burlap or canvas. Do not use plastic. Another method is cut the bottom out of a large trash can, put it over the plant and fill with straw or other insulating materials. Do not remove the covering until all danger of frost is past.

Gary

Thumbnail by garyt
Port Orchard, WA

I have grown this in R.I.-zone6-didn't die,just never bloomed...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

It's a beautiful foliage plant blooms or not. I sure think it would be worth following Gary's advise since it's such a striking plant. Good luck! Neal.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Bought Lemon Wave couple years ago and I hate to say it but it's been a royal pain in the butt. May be too hot for it here in Ark. zone 8.Slow to grow if it doesn't outright die. Luckily I took lots of cuttings from original plants 'cause I killed the original plants.Set about 5 of the cuttings out last fall and it did nothing but putz around this year.

It has had yellow in what little foliage it's had though.

Peggy

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

wow their beautiful Deb hope they make the winter. Take some cuttings and put Perilite in a pail with water and root some for insurance :)) Allison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.