Anthracnose?

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Who is sick of all my questions yet? :)

My Doublefile Viburnum has some blackened leaves around the base, and a bit up through the bush. How can I tell if it is anthracnose or just leaf scorch? There is a lot of new foliage coming out that looks nice and lush and green.

What indicator should I use? And how should I treat it?

Thanks,

Nick

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Take a photo of the problem area in your Viburnum. Take it and leaf samples to your local extension agent. If he doesn't know the answer, he as access to university personnel who will.

Cleveland, OH

There are few Anthracnose diseases that warrant treatment.

those such as oak, ash, and sycamore anthracnoses only do damage in early spring when leaves are first unfolding, then are gone for the season. The trees have plenty of time to re-leaf and recover just fine.

On the other hand Dogwood anthracnose infects dogwoods throughout the season and cause cankerous lesions on the stems causing serious dieback. This disease should be treated on a regular basis.

I agree with Bettydee. Take samples to your local extension office, find out if it's one of the anthracnoses that causes serious harm or just a bit of leaf browning and drop before treating with a fungicide that may or may not be necessary for the health of the plants!

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks guys.. I have noticed no lesions or canker on any of the stems. They all look really healthy. I have a feeling it might just be a bit of stress realted to the lack of rain. The bush is new, and too far away for a good soaking every week.

Time to break out the buckets. :)

Nick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.