Pole Bean Wannabe?

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Planted Improved Tendergreen bush bean seeds from Harts, as a late crop. Bought 'em at a garden center since I ran out of the Provider bush beans I ordered in the spring.

Anyway, these are exhibiting pole bean characteristics and I'm wondering what I actually have. They grew as a normal bush bean would until they reached the height of the older, Provider beans. Then they began to flower and start to put up vines which are now about 12 inches above "normal."

Does anyone know if this is normal behavior for this variety? I hate to have to build a trellis this late in the game with frost breathing down my neck in about a month.

Wayne

Thumbnail by adkgardener
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Have not grown this cultivar, but there are a few bush beans that do send out short stems that are about half the lenght of a half runner.

Edited to add. Some were designed that way to hold the beans up high for mechanical picking.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2005 6:20 PM

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Farmerdill. Maybe that's the "improved" part of the Tendergreen variety name. I just never saw this trait before in any bush beans I've grown.

Too much to do without having to build another trellis if I don't have to.

Wayne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.