So excited! I got a good deal on - red rocket crepe myrtle:)

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

I love it!! I got a very nice looking full of ready to bloom pods red rocket crepe myrtle! I have been wanting one for a long time but wasnt willing to pay close to $100 for a big one. Everytime I go looking for a smaller one they are always gone. Today I was at a nursery and they had one YAY!! I got it for only $14 and it is great looking already!

Is it safe when they are little to cut the new starts off near the trunk area?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I start training mine to three or less trunks as soon as I get them...you are a lot further South and yours will make a nice tree...mine will always be a 'small treelet' (less than 25 ft)

As soon as you can take away the starts, the faster your CM will start to put it's energy into the remaining trunk(s) No sense having the plant waste good energy supporting stems that you don't want.

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

thank you so much!!! Here is a picture of mine....there is one branch it is a good sized one but I dont like it because of the way it is leaning it wont hurt the tree for me to wack it off will it???

Thumbnail by Gardening_in_GA
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

As soon as the leaves mature, then the direction of the energy flow is downward toward the roots so you might consider waiting until they are dormant before making any major cuts. You might also want to consider leaving any small branchlets that are growing on the trunks you want to keep as they help increase the diameter of the trunk faster than if you keep the trunks free of this growth.

That was a good buy.

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey guys, when you cut these unwanted branches, is it possible to get a start from the cuttings? I too am CM crazy but I just cannot pay $$$ for a tree. But I drive by a house every day that has 4 HUGE ones lining their pond and I just drool!!

Tina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.