Variegated datura finally blooming

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

It's been a while since it has flowered. I have one seed pod to be ready for harvesting soon. Ohiobreezy, you get first picking. May have others to share if I get additional seed pods developing.

Thumbnail by kathyvm
Hilltop Lakes, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi...I am new and a devoted brug and datura addict....and oh my goodness what a beauty!...I have never seen a varigated one ...how nice....I am so jealous......I am just so happy to have found this site, its like a dream come true!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Wowee, that is awesome looking! Where did you find her?
I wonder if the seeds will produce variegated plants too.
What a cool dat.
Another to add to the ever growing, just gotta have one more list...hehehe

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I found her in a nursery about 100 miles from my home. Found her by accident. What a find! They had lots of unique plants.
I don't know if the vareigation will come true from seed. I'm sure I'll have extra seeds to share. Would you like to try for yourself?

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I had one of those last summer- had several flowers, but couldn't get a seed pod to set - boo hoo. If yours sets a pod and you would be willing to share- I"D LOVE SOME!!!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Sure, Kathy, that is a really nice offer!!
Maybe I will have something you would like to try too.
Great find at the nursery....I'm really happy for you!
Jackie

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I had a few starter seed pods. All but one fell off. You can see it in the pic. It should be ready soon. Does anyone know how long you should let the seed dry out before packaging it up for shipment. I wouldn't want to send anyone bad seed.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

oh beauty i would love a few too.

let the seed pod completly dry first and most turn a light brownigh color.

put something around the pod to catch the seeds like panty hose

or put a blanket around the base to catch the seeds.

then let seeds dry on paper plate for a day or two then will be ready to ship.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Lovely Kathy! I have yours all packed and ready to go, as well as some new ones I grew this year, waiting on seeds to ripen first but then complete package will sit here for you :)

That is a gorgeous bloom, thanks for posting it!
Talk soon
Laurrie

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Where did you get this plant--in case the seeds don't ripen or plants from the seeds are not true?? I wonder if the stem cuttings would root well?? Thanks for sharing!!

Bonnie

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I would like to be considered for seeds also. I have sent you an email. What are you looking for in trade?

Judy

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I got this plant in a small nursery in Michigan they only had a few plants of this variety. It was a little pricey but I love variegated plants so just had to have it! I never saw this variety before. I am going to try to take cuttings this fall just in case the plant doesn't come true from seed. I'll try to save some seed for all of you that want some but not sure how many I can send each of you. I only have one seed pod at this time.
sarv48 did you get your plant locally or did you order it?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy,

I wintered over a white datura in it's pot in the house. So maybe yours will winter-over that way. I would certainly try if I were you.

Judy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful, Kathy! I was told that var. brug seeds won't make var. plants. You have to take cuttings.
:) Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Datura are different than brugs in that respect :) Datura will come true from seed.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

This bird may be different??!! Who knows

Judy

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes I would try to overwinter myself, save seeds and plant, you just never know!!!!

Hilltop Lakes, TX(Zone 8a)

Since seeing this plant I have tried to find one or even seeds...everyone I taked to at nurseries or seed sources have treated me like I was drinking...heavily....I sure hope you get some seeds for trade and I have something special to tempt you...please consider me if you have any left over.......

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

keep me on your list of " I wannas" as a fellow datura addict........i have many triples of yellows and purples and whites as well as singles I could trade
thanks ,
jackie

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Kathy put me on your list for some seeds. I will have others to trade.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

FYI: my local greenhouse manager/horticulturist told me that datura seeds are good for 70 years?! Fascinating, huh? I had NO idea.........=)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I know certain ones for me came up after 5 years of them sitting in my seed box, I think many seeds are good for many years if kept properly :)

Port Hope, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi kathyvm, I have been searching all year for a vareigated datura...even asked some garden centers if they could order it to no avail. I would greatly appreciate some seeds. I am so desperate that I will send you some cash to get them!
I don't know how to use the email here to email you. Please email me. My email addy is: josie_1955@hotmail.com

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I just did a little hunting. Glasshouseworks has this plant - at $25! Here's the page on their site:

http://www.rareplants.com/textsite/t-trop-de.html

I might indulge next spring.!

Peter

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi JosieP, Many people have asked for seed of this plant. So far I have only gotten one seed pod that will ripen soon. Most of the seed pods fell off prematurely. There is one more that looks like it will mature but not sure yet. I'll do my best to offer seed to the people that had asked, but it depends on the availablity.

Port Hope, ON(Zone 5a)

Thank you Kathyvm.

Peter.. Glasshouseworks is in the US and they don't ship to Canada. I'm in Canada.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Oops. Why don't they ship to Canada?

P.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's the Customs thing. A registered nursery needs Customs to come and do an inspection to fill out a phytosanitary certificate meaning that it is free of disease or pests. Some places are charged $50 to $100 for this certificate which the nursery than passes that cost to the buyer. Some buyers who are wanting hard to find plants or buy in larger quantities don't have a problem paying the cost.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Woah. A bit stiff. I'd keep looking at home!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

JosieP -

I just noticed your comment about not knowing how to use the DG e-mails. All you do is click on the member's name who posted to you, and you will see an option, something like "Send this member a d-mail". When you get a reply, it will show up on your home page when you open the DG site.

kathyvm - I don't know if I am on the "hoping you send me some seed" list. But if there is any left from this crop, please include me! Did yo dig it up for overwintering?

Peter

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry to report that this plant did not produce well. I only got one seed pod to mature. There's just not enough seed for all those who have asked for some. I will plant extra seed in the spring. If I have good germination, I may have some plants to offer.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for trying, kathy. Keep us in mind!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Kathy, I "think" the seeds I have that germinated are yours, did you just write "varigated datura" on the packet? if you remember LOL
anyway, I have some babies of varigated datura and am thinking they are from you, here they are as of this morning, they are yellow leaves, hoping they will survive!!!!!!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Keep us posted as those mature, OB. It will be fun to see if and when the variegatin appears. I would love to put me on your short list for seed, if you will be able to share some later.

Peter

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Peter, so far they are looking good, but only time will tell for certain if these are varigated and if they will mature, but of course, I will happily share seed if they continue and produce ;)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i hope they do well for you and this one starts to pick up in species agian.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I hope so as well, they really worry me how yellow and pale they are, but only time will tell, i really check them 800 times a day just to see if they are still alive and not wilting or dying on me, will update with photos when I can get a decent one :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.