ground cover for Iris - pebbles?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have lots of new Iris - thanks to several DG folks. I have some areas that just look naked without mulch. I've read that mulch around Iris will cause rot, etc. Can I use small pebbles (like the wally world bag pebbles)? The Iris are mixed with plants that will look great next summer but this fall and winter it just looks to much like a "dirt" bed.

Suggestions?
Kathy

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Kathy - Am bumping this up some because I have the same question. Maybe someone will respond with what to put on there? I have a "test bed" that I'm having the same question with.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I think pebbles will work. Just do NOT cover the RHZ. they need to be planted towards the South and do not want to be covered. Rhz. like to bake in the sun. Also, water regularly for first month or so . You want them to root before it get too cold. Remember, NO MANURE.

Inanda

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I think pebbles are a good idea. I agree with inanda, NO MANURE...and don't cover the rhizomes with the pebbles, just put pebbles around them.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Inanda,
Why plant toward the south?
What do you mean toward the south? Have the side of the fans/leaves toward east/west and the main face toward the south?
Carol

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Glad to answers to the pebble question. I think it will work great and solve my issue with the dirt. I don't know which position mine are in but I think they will be okay.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

daisy - I want to know, also!

I thought they were supposed to be planted with the direction of the end of the iris in mind so I have mine going every which way so they don't all head in the same direction.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That's how I plant mine too, pirl.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought they liked compost in the winter months and some fertilizer? Right? Wrong? Hmmm...I have some with a light layer of small pebbles and they do well..they are by the southeast side of my house against the wall there.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I use a light mulch of shredded leaves on ALL my flowers in the fall since a nasty north wind swoops thru my garden. I am careful to totally uncover my iris & trim them on a warm day in March so the sun can thaw & dry them. Iris buried under mulch in the warm spring rains can spell disaster.

In the past year, I have started to plant my iris on 2-3 inch high mounds. This keeps the iris roots dry while allowing me to mulch the rest of my beds for the conservation of moisture & weed prevention.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

So Wanda,
You do not mulch the irises at all. They are totally left open, exposed to the winter weather?
That is what I am having problems with. The irises have to be higher than the other plants around to mulch them for the winter.
Carol

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't cut my iris blades back until March to help hold some shredded leaves and light mulch around them. I pull ALL the mulch away from my iris in the early spring.

Because the winterkill is so bad here, I don't do "garden clean up" until March or so. The taller plants and dead leaves help form air pockets that protect my more delicate daylilies & perennials from the spring thaws/freezes/thaws. The seeds left on the plants also help feed the birds that are stupid enough to stay here all winter.

I've been slowly digging old clumps plus adding new clumps on raised 2-3 inch high mounds. I am able to mulch all around the base of the mounds & my other perennials and still give my iris the dry climate they require. Mulching means no watering & few weeds in my area. And the mulch breaks down slowly to enrich the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.