Looking for terra cotta hanging pots...any suggestions??

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I thought I would start here, to see if anyone has any suggestions. When this thread was started back in June, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/521599/ RUK posted some beautiful pictures of a Barad exhibit of cactus and succulents. I asked then, but no one was sure, so I'm trying again.

I can't find anything like the hanging pots in this beautiful exhibit. Does anyone have any suggestions, especially online? I think the reference was made to Asian pots, but I've searched and can't find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Many of the containers are unglazed bonsai containers & many are terra-cotta. It appears that some adaptations have been made to simple pots to allow them to hang. There are several ways to accomplish this including drilling the sides or constructing a "sling" made with three or four pieces of rope or chain.

Al

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I drill terra cotta pots using masonry bits in an electric drill. It is messy since the fine dust goes everywhere, but I do enjoy hanging pots. You will need several sizes of bits. I just buy cheap wire hangers until I run across fancier stuff.

Rockford, IL

MaryEv--Those are neat pot hangers. I looked at some of the garden supply websites I have on my favorites list but there wasn't anything like that. I'll keep my eyes open for them. Cathy

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Mary - www.potterymfg.com They actually manufacture terracotta pots. The factory is huge, and you can order from them online.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2005 2:55 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, everyone!

I do actually have a masonry bit, but I bought a big one to drill a hole in the bottom of a couple of pots I have, and I'm afraid to use it (I'm afraid I will shatter the pots.) I guess I'll give it a try though, I'll just have to buy a smaller bit to use on the rims.

And thanks Kanita, that site is wonderful! I'll see what I can find there.

Any more suggestions are welcome. I love pots almost as much as plants! :)

Edited to correct a typo.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2005 9:51 AM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Mary - there is a better alternative to masonry bits for drilling pots. I'm late to church, but I'll leave the info here this afternoon.

Al

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

There are faster & more efficient drills for drilling clay or vitrified containers. They are called spade (because they look like a 3-point shovel - not to be confused with a wood spade drill) drills or spear-point drills. You can find them at good hardwares or big box home improvement stores. They cut much faster and with far less pressure than traditional masonry drills. I either set the object in a tub with water so water just barely covers the surface I'm drilling, or use a contact lens solution bottle filled with water & direct a fine stream of water continually toward the point where drilling. The water acts as a coolant/lubricant & greatly extends the useful life of the tool.

Take a look here: http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/6/616_10775.html?Origin=

Good luck

Al

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Tapla, thanks so much for reminding me about those tile bits. They are faster in terracotta. I used them a while back.
Johanna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.