geraniums from Thompson and Morgan

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

for those of us living in the UK and Ireland T & M have just released their Gardeners Companion catalog that has 12 hardy geraniums for sale. this includes 5 new varieties exclusive to them.

my order is in already just in case there is big demand.

Mark

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

I am very proud of the hardy geranium I grew from seed last year, it is called splish Splash and is much bigger than I anticipated. Anyone know how to collect the seed. I will copntact T&M wonder what their varieties are.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 3rd 9:19 PM

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi Southmede

your Geranium, pratense striatum aka 'splish splash', is unlikely to come true from seed due to geraniums crossing so easy with other geraniums. as soon as you see the seed heads turning brown pick them and put them in a paper bag and seal it because geraniums have a catapult mechanism for seed dispersal.

however, if you prune your plant right down to the ground including leaves you will get another flush of flowers in about 4 - 6 weeks. then collect your seed.

Mark

Straide, Mayo, Ireland(Zone 9a)

Hi Southmede

I grow this Geranium and get about 80% of the seedlings turning out to be splashed and striped, with the rest just blue. T & M admit that it doesn't come completely true from the seed that they sell .
Jane

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

I think that I will cut the plant down much rather have some more flowers now and seeds later. I am so glad that I still have this one as I plant so much I forget where everything is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.