Can I cut them?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a massive amount of blue iris growing in a small butterfly garden that I need to divide and fast, because I'm giving some away tomorrow.

I took a shovel to it and couldn't even make a dent. Then I took a garden fork which worked on my yellow flag iris but it barely budged these. It's hard to work on these with all that floppy foliage, is it okay to cut it back so I can get in their and get them out?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

What I do is dig the entire plant out and lay it on the lawn or driveway and wash off all the dirt with the garden hose. Sometimes I need to dig a couple different times to get them all, and yes, some do break off. Then I can see where the new iris rhizomes are and either cut or break them off. I thow away the old 'mother' rhizome and only keep the new ones.

I keep a few of the new rhizomes to replant, and either give the rest away locally, for postage, or trade them.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Since its likely the foliage would get cut back once you got them out.....it seems logical that you could do it now to allow you to work better. At least I would do it (leaving 4" or so).............. ;0).............but I don't have all the do/don't about iris straight!

good luck~

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Forgot to mention that you can, and should, cut the iris down to 1/3 of the original height. Sorry. I don't think it matters if you do it before you dig or after. Cut it in a fan shape. I do it after, but if it's easier, then before would be okay too.

It sounds like you have a big clump that most likely needs to be dug and divided anyway, so I would think about digging, dividing, and then cutting them down.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Sounds to me like you're dealing with siberians from the way you are having difficulty digging. I cut mine back about 1/2, dig them out, cut through them with whatever works and then trim off any additional broken leaves (only broken ones) and trim to fit the box and wrap in most paper towels or newpaper wrapped with saran wrap or sandwich baggies for shipment. If you are giving them away locally, then it's easier -- no need to prep for shipment!

Digging them is a huge chore especially if the clump is more than 3 years old.

Roni

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It's more than three years old and a big chore doesn't begin to describe it. It's unbudgeable!

I think I'm going to try hammering in the fork and if that doesn't work, a crowbar. It's hard to get to them so all this with a precarious foot hold.

Maybe if I wet the site first to soften the soil? Ugh, they'll be japanese beetles right over my head perched on my rosasharons. I'll have to wear a wind breaker in near 100 degree weather.

I'm giving away some of these with yellow iris to freecyclers. Then I'm going to trade or send some for postage. I'll probably keep some too but I'll move them to a better spot.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

That all sounds great. The weather has been on the dry side here in Hagerstown but we did have some cool weather as a shower two nights ago made our soil just right for planting. I definitely try to moisten the soil.

You could always borrow an umbrella hat like people wear to ball games....LOL....to deal with the beetles dropping on you.

Roni

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. Ew.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.