trees for sidewalk

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I am thinking about putting in some trees between the sidewalk and the street. I don't want shade trees, since I have a full sun garden nearby, and I don't want anything that will ruin the sidewalk with thier roots. Any ideas on types of trees I should consider?
Thanks for any suggestions!
-Mara

Cleveland, OH

Ginkgo, be sure it's a male tree. Tough tree for a tough spot, roots are not a problem and it will give light or dappled shade not deep shade like a maple or oak.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I love the way my Honey Locust just gives a very light shade. It is one of my favorite trees. It is very easy to grow other plants under because it lets in so much light.

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Ginkgo is a great idea! I love honey locust, but I thik it might get too big for the spot. What about flowering trees?
-mara

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

One small tree that has fragrant flowers (the flowers are not much to look at though) is Ptelea trifoliata.

There are some great hardy magnolias - Magnolia stelata, Magnolia x loebneri. They both grow in Minnesota so I bet they would do fine in Idaho.

There are many beautiful crab apple trees. I really like the hardy sour cherries - North Star is good.

Red bud is great if you make sure you get a northern strain.

There are also a couple of hardy apricots with nice flowers - Sungold and Moongold. If you wanted fruits you would need one of each but not for flowers.

There are also hardy plums but I have never messed with them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.