Color Echoes IV: What's Brightening Your Dog Days of Summer

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Perennial Gardeners and Friends (Hem Heads, Hosta-holics and other impassioned planters!),

To follow up on 'Color Echoes III' thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/530057/ we're looking for some late summer 'Color Echoes' to brighten up these hot, dry days (at least they are in southwestern Ohio!).

I was looking for late summer bloom ideas on the net and I found this write-up that gives some interesting ideas, http://www.flower-gardening-made-easy.com/fall-flowers.html and I've even found a few in my garden!

Let's see what's in yours? How about some pics? :=) t.

Hemerocallis 'Autumn Flame', Pardancanda Yellow, Lantana, Crocosmia from my buterfly garden.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And a shot of the 'purples various'--I think verbena, liatris, the new coneflower and an annual geranium...

Thumbnail by tabasco

'Purples various' once again...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And a sweet little miniature white rose that make a nice complement to the variegated leaf geranium...

OK--that's it for our garden for now! Let's see what's in your gardens...I know we have some shy ones (lurkers?!) out there who are reluctant to post, but we'd love to see what everyone has 'echoing' in the garden.

p.s., And if you're not sure what 'color echoing' is--look up the links in the previous thread for a good explanation...

Happy gardening, all of you 'Impassioned Perennial Planters'! Take care. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco

Here's one for you. Muscadet and Grootendorst Pink.

Picture would help.

Thumbnail by echoes
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

tabasco - thanks for the new thread.
I love the first picture but you didn't give enough credit to the lantana. It's the one that brings them all together. It's easy to see why Pamela Harper (author of the book, Color Echoes) loves it so much.

echoes: perfect pairing. Almost like two seniors in love!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I love the Verbena Bonariensis.

I also love Muscadet/Grootendorst. Pirl is right- it almost looks too intimate, like you are eavesdropping on a lover's tryst.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I find that Lantana is an excellent 'transition' plant ~ this one moves very nicely between my preferred summer pinks and fall's colors.

Landmark Rose Glow

Thumbnail by Moby

Thanks, pirl,--didn't say much about the verbenas and lantanas because I've used it so often in the 'color echoes' pics already and here in Ohio it's an annual.

Ms. Harper is right. It's really a wonderful flower-- I was just looking at it today wondering how I could overwinter them successfully!

Here's the orangish lantana with a pretty yellow pardancanda-bellamcanda--(forget which is which)... t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Here's what's happening here. Russian sage, daylilies, black eyed susan.

Thumbnail by boojum

Phlox, casa blancas, butterfly bushes.

Thumbnail by boojum

Heliopsis and rose of sharon.

Thumbnail by boojum

I guess those are more complementary colors than echoes! Here's a better echo-Court Magician and coleus.

Thumbnail by boojum
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Boojum- beautiful pics! Your double Rose of Sharon is like a big blowsy cousin to mine! Mine was very blue opening up this year. Maybe the dry weather has something to do with it...

Court Magician is sooo huge! Look at that flower! It reminds me of Anemone Margarete or Prince Henry. Also my Lantana Sonrise fades from orange and yellow to pinky mauve and yellow. Or Lilac Time Dahlia! You've given me so many ideas for pink and yellow combinations! Thanks.

CM is only 5" wide-must be my angle when shooting that fooled you. The Rose of Sharon is Ardens-opens bluish, turns pinky purple, then blue spent blooms.

Thumbnail by boojum
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wonderful photos to start off this thread! Tabasco and boojum, you both have the most unbelievably gorgeous gardens! I did a very dumb thing today and visited a local public garden that has recently been remodeled and did not take my camera. I was seeing color echos all over the place! Hopefully I will get back to get some photos. Here is a little bit of the tropics finally coming together in my back garden. Lots of coleus, a purple leaved castor bean that is just loaded with pink seed heads, a sweet potato vine that matches the center of one of the coleus and an amarathus. There are a few cannas near by that I think will have pink blooms if they ever get busy and bloom.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Another shot of the same area.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Susan,
The echo of the sweet potato in that almost totally black coleus is terrific! I love this combo. Do you have pics of the ricin seed pods? Are they always pink? (I feel your pain with the non-blooming cannas. Of my 15, only 1 has bloomed, so far.)
Michele

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I'll get some photos of the seed pods tomorrow. I'm not positive what castor bean this is, but I sure like it. Wish the coleus were a little taller so I could get them and the seed pods all in one shot.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Susan, your coleus are stunning and isn't the Garden fantastic?! DH and I went there a couple weeks ago.

I fell in love with the new Fairy Sculpture

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

At least you were smart enough to have your camera with you Moby. It really is fantastic. Who ever planned the combinations this year did an extra special job. It's the best I've ever seen it.

susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is the castor bean with the seed pods. It is only one plant, but is sure putting out the seeds.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I had to go back to the public garden this morning with my Mom and take some photos. It is a sunken garden that was built during the depression as a work project and has just been redone with new stone work and a new pavillion. If you ever get to Lincoln NE, don't miss it. Here is the fairy statue Moby liked . I'm not 100% sure she is a fairy. It is in a white garden and the white base picks up the white flowers nicely. Surrounded by shade gardens that are also in green and whites. Very cool and refreshing.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a section of the shade garden that surrounds the statue.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I love this color echo. Pale yellow marigolds and yellow ornamental peppers.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is a little to the right of the last photo. Lots more yellow peppers and the Dusty Miller and silvery blue ageratum are perfect with them.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Tradescantia pallida or Purple Heart was used a lot through out the garden as well as many sun coleus. This coleus has purple stems and veins.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Purple Heart again with calidium.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Persian Shield and Cleome.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful seed pods, Susan. Thanks for posting those. I'm definitely planting those seeds I have next year, thanks to you.
It's nice that you have such beautiful public gardens close by.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Purple Fountain grass with what I think are bananas near one of the two ponds.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The same bed as the banana plants and purple fountain grass also has some great salvia. I think it might be salvia Black and Blue, some more coleus and some wonderful grass with pink feathery seed heads.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a better photo of the grass along with some pink and white Profusion zinnias. Anyone know the name of the grass?

susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here you can get an idea of the size of the garden. There is a waterfall to the right not shown here. Across the street, where you can see a fountain, there is also a rose garden.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This circular area was surrounded with beds of Perilla Magilla, Iresine and I think purple algeratum. Someone was thinking color echos when they planned this years display.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Another view of a pond. One thing I did not get a good photo of is the new pavillion in the background here. It has fantastic metal. work on the dome. Tree branches that change with the seasons as you go around. Birds, squirrels, snowflakes, owls, the state capital, windmills and all kinds of things cut out of the metal.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2005 1:36 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No color echo here, but I might as well show you the waterfall. I think we are very fortunate to have such a lovely public garden here in the Mid-west. There is also a perennial plant area, but it is not very well developed yet since it was just replanted. The annual display is different every year.

Susan

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the photos, Susan. I feel like I've been on a little tour myself.

Great tour! Thank you, Susan!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.