One Month 'till frost. Hydr. advice?

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Got a month before expected first frost up here in (allegedly) Zone 4a. Is it too late to order & plant? I've been looking at "Limelight", one year-old plants in one gallon pots which the nursery recommended for my area. I'm in the Northern Adirondacks, 15 miles northwest of Lake Placid. We typically get stretches of -30 to -40 degrees F.

Should I wait until Spring?

I'm new to gardening in Northern New York, having gardened in Southern New York State and am finding the short season quite a challenge.

Wayne

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Boy, only a month till frost! We might not have frost until very late Oct. or November. I certainly would be afraid to plant hydrangeas that late especially if your winters get very cold. You might ask a nursery in your area. Jenny

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wayne, I have a nursery in upstate New York, been growing Limelight for about 5 years, ever since it came out.. I think a Limelight in a one gallon pot should do fine for you planted now. A frost won't hurt it. Mulch it well, and keep well watered until the ground freezes hard. Don't fertilize, or amend the soil. Do order it now, however. You will love this shrub! Enjoy, Polly

hanna, WY(Zone 4b)

Does anyone have a site that tells what the first frost date is? Someone sent me a good one last year, but of course I didn't save it. Yvonne

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Polly: Thanks for the advice. I've decided to wait until spring to order the Limelights. The spot where they are to go had long ago been covered with gravel as a "landscaping solution." Too many projects in progress now to dig it out and prepare the soil properly.

vonny: There are USDA zone maps that are really too broad to be useful for your specific area. I suggest that you contact your local Cooperative Extension office for your county: http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/UWces/Counties.asp They should be able to direct you to a more detailed map or put you in touch with a Master Gardener familiar enough with your area to give you info specific to your micro-climate.

Wayne

hanna, WY(Zone 4b)

Thanks Wayne. Will do. Yvonne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.