Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry Pole Beans.....

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Picked these today off 24 poles, about 2/3 of a bushel. I'll have as many more in another week or so. These should give me about 12-15 pints of shell beans, in my opinion, the best shell bean of all! ☺

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yummy!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Those look great -- I am envious as my pole beans are still just blooming. By the way, where is Bethelridge in Kentucky. My whole family is from that state.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Red, great lookin' beans. Can't wait to get some goin' down here - Flip

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks gang!

stownes, Bethelridge is in south-central KY about 12 miles west of Somerset (near Cumberland Lake).

Here's a picture of them canned, 14 pints. As you can see they're rather large beans, and as TamaraFaye says, "yummy"!

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Flip, when do you start your beans in FL?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Red, I ususally start the first batch in October and keep planting them through April. Usually I alternate pole beans and bush beans. I'd like to try a few new types this year. Any suggestions??

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

If you like shell beans you might try some of these. They're hard to find in the pole bean variety but I do have a few seeds left from 2004 if you'd like a few.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks. That'd be great! I'd really like to try them. I've never grown shell beans before. It'd be interesting to see how they do down here. I'm in the Address Exchange. If I can return the seed favor, just let me know. I have all kinds of different veggie/tom/melon seeds.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Flip,

I'll get them out on Monday, let me know how they do.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Red, thanks a lot. They'll be in the ground with the first planting and I'll keep you posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.