d. metel Black Currant Swirl Opening

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Had to share my excitement

d. metel "black currant swirl"

~Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, wow, Laurrie. Those are beautiful.

I better hurry up and plant my seeds ;-)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Oh, you lucky folks that can plant almost any time of the year.

Laurrie, amazing photo, amazing color. I never saw one so nearly black as that. Not even close. Wow. ~Blooms

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

It sure is a dark one, and taking it's sweet time opening, over a week now with me looking all the time to see if I am missing it!!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Will hope it opens within next couple of days, it's getting there!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Laurie - glad to see your plants doing well!

Could someone enlighten me on the difference between the Black Currant Swirl and the Double Purple Datura's? I got seeds for some 'black currant' in a trade - they appear to be exactly the same as the double purple that I've always had. Even the photos on the PF look like the same plant to me.

Black currant
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/49910/index.html

double purple
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60033/index.html

Can someone tell me what is supposed to be different between them?

Thanks much!!

Can't wait to see yours open, Laurie!

Onalee

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Onalee, not sure 100% but the ones I have grown were sold to me originally as Black Currant Swirl, they are triple (all the blooms) not just some of them. Not sure, perhaps another one growing the 2 could say.

Here it is this afternoon, perhaps tonight it will open all the way, we just got hammered with thunderstorms and man I was worried about it.

~Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Laurie for the reply - If that's the case, then these seeds I got weren't really black currant because so far they have all been doubles, no triples at all yet.

Maybe someone knows for sure??

Can't wait to see it all the way open!!

Onalee

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Onalee, this pic's for you, just tonight, perhaps in morning I can get a better shot, was getting dark here.

This is one I grew from seed from 2 years ago, still quite viable as I had numerous plants I grew and gave away, I think I only have 4 plants I kept for myself, this is just the first one blooming :)

All mine were triple and some quadruple, this first bloom also was a triple on this plant.

Enjoy!! The smell is divine, whoever said metel's don't have fragrance hasn't sniffed this one!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmmm... I have what is supposed to be 'Black Currant Swirl' but now I'm wondering if it's just the double purple. Mine has mostly triple blooms with the occasional double.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

WOW that is different than mine! So many kinds out there.**edited to say Tom perhaps you'd like to swap seeds with me this fall????

Here is my photo from 2003, it was a plant with mostly triples, but this was a quad bloom. I am growing my plants now from seeds from this baby!

This message was edited Aug 10, 2005 11:56 PM

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's what my double purple looks like -

edited to say - also very fragrant!

-Onalee

This message was edited Aug 11, 2005 9:35 PM

Thumbnail by onalee
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Then this would be double purple? BTW..LOVE it ..my first year for them!

Thumbnail by golgi
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Onalee, hmmmmmmmmm I looked at both links, and to me THEY ARE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!! seedpods even look the same, I am wondering if it's the weather/temps/humidity etc that causes the difference in some peoples blooms (color)????????????

In my book, from looking at both threads, I would "assume" they are the same, darn but I dont' know what else to say.....................sorry :(

Laurrie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Laurrie -
Thanks for the input - I hate it when one thing appears to have two names - but, of course, it happens a lot . . .

thanks much and good luck with your lovely plants!

Onalee

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine looks just like this, but no scent at all. When I checked the two links onalee posted, one mentions fragrance, the other doesn't. Hmmm.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

hmmmm weird! mine sure do have alot of fragrance!!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Now I am totally confused at what mine is. I thought it was a Black Current but I did plant both Black Current seeds and Double Purple so when this one started to bloom I had seen pictures of the Black Current and thought this was it.. I assumed my Double Purple did not come up. Maybe someone can verify what I do have..
his was my first and I do love this Datura..Something other than white.(:

Thumbnail by SnowBird56
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I have different "looks" on all of my plants at different times of opening, here is one all the way open might even be a couple days old.

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

mine is called Black Currant Swirl, it is almost black, can't wait to see it open and see just how dark it stays.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

This is how my plant looked yesterday, and today

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Today, Blackcurrant Swirl.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

very pretty!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

and this one

Thumbnail by kareoke
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

NICE everyone! here is a photo of my seedpod maturing today.......it's getting there!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

OhioBreezy--the two you gave me. I was wrong the one has 4 buds and the other has 6!!! WOW!! Can hardly wait for them to open!! YEAH!! Bonnie

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Bonnie, that is wonderful, any photos of the progress?????

Laurrie

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Awesome flowers especially the black one. Maybe someday I will have some of these.

Lavina

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Well the seed pods on mine are almost black, i will have to get a picture tomorrow.

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Naw!! New computer, not compatible with the library computer. Maybe if I ever get a job and we can finally afford Internet I can post next year??! hehehe TERRIBLE having to live without Internet!! waaaaa

Bonnie

Anyway, one bud on each plant looks like it is getting ready to open--a little bit popped open on the side!!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

ooh goodie, I can't wait for you to see them open Bonnie, I have dialup here, it's slow, but at least I do have that LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.