Growing banna squash?

Richfield, UT(Zone 5b)

Hello....this is my first year growing banana squash, and only my third year growing a garden, so I haven't a clue as to what I am doing. lol.

I love banana squash and decided to grow some when I found the seed in a bin for cheep at the local hardware store. It had no instructions or size of plant with it....guess that is my first mistake.

I planted three to a hill about 8 feet apart (second mistake). It has taken over my whole garden. I have to mow it down to keep it off the lawn. I am still in awe at how big the leaves and plants are. I am getting some fruits to set but most of them are off the ground (ie growing up the fencing and or over my tomatoe cages)....can the vine support these or will they eventually break off as they get larger?

Also how do you know when they are ripe? When can I pick them to eat? Are these winter squash more like pumpkins where you wait for the vine to die?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Next year maybe I will only plant one plant for the space I don't have. :)

Carlynn

Thumbnail by wildflower525
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A pumpkin is a type of winter squash. The same rules apply. The banana squash ( blue, pink, or yellow) are large, upwards of 20 lbs. The vine can usually handle them, most fences and tomato cages can't. and just to reiterate, pick them when vines began to die and then cure for a couple of weeks for best flavor.

Richfield, UT(Zone 5b)

Thank you....I guess I need to go out and cut the vines that are growing over things? Will that hurt the plant?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Any cut can introduce disease pathogens and of course if you cut too much, you limit the vines production. Just cut where you have to in order to protect something else.

Richfield, UT(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much Farmerdill...I truly appreciate that you answer my silly questions...I am in awe at your wonderful and rich knowledge of growing. :)

Thanks again.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't know much, But I tend to remember my mistakes. Remember I am older than soiless potting mix, also be fore television, Superman and computers.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Carlynn, your garden looks awesome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.