When do you harvest bird gourds?

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I've got one that's about a foot tall and just wondering how do you know when to harvest them?

Crossville, TN

Betsybug...just leave them and let them dry on the vine...I have had more luck with them that way...don't loose as many. If they are dry enough when the first frost comes they will be fine...won't freeze the water in them and swell up and burst.

I would suggest that if they are sitting on the ground that you put something under them...like straw or a piece of cardboard...it keeps the bottoms nice and smooth.

Jo

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks RR! I did find some web sites that said don't pick them until the stem dries up - but I'd just as soon leave them there until the last minute as you suggest. I will put something under them - thanks for the suggestion. DH and I went out there this morning and counted 4 more new ones - total of 8 now. Not bad for one vine and I'm not trying to produce a truck load anyway. I'll post some pics soon. Was going to go out this evening to take some but up came a storm....can't complain about the rain though.

Later!

Marcia (BB)

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Put some pictures in the photo forum....

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/535666/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.