My First (hopefully not last) Bloom this year!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Lookie, lookie! what a beauty, huh? A beautiful double blue clitoria.
I sure hope this is a better year for my clitoria, last year I only had 1 single blue bloom and a handfull of whites. :~(
That single blue did not produce a seedpod, either because they are not self pollinating, or it just was not happy.

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

That is really pretty. It is on my "want list " for next year

Janis

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Is it grown from seesd?

I love the hue of blue, so intense. Awesome!

Joseph

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Great Donna!!! I hope it's loaded for you this year!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone. I ran out & looked this morning, but no more blooms. I think it is a case of "watched pot never boils", I am probably making it uncomfortable...HAR And yes, this was grown from seed.

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful plant Donna, great job from seed. Tanarae

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

My other pot of clitoria is starting to bloom too. I planted single white & blue in it. I sure hope I get some whites soon, I just love the combo.
They are just so pretty! I really missed them last year.

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

thank you Donna. I have one vine blooming too from the seed you sent me

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh good! I am so glad some survived this crazy weather. Hope you are feeling better. :~)

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

This beautiful vine is one of my favorites! It is too cold here (USDA 7b) to overwinter outdoors but it will overwinter well in a sunny indoor window. But it might survive outdoors in your warm 9a, possibly blooming year-round as it did indoors.

Mine made lots of seeds so taking the plant in really wasn't required. From seed, mine bloomed in a matter of weeks while still quite small! The vine eventually becomes woody, and can be cut back/to shape in spring.

And yes, the blue is incredible! Good color in the posted pic, but to those that haven't seen it "in person" you won't believe the depth of the color: there's a hint of violet (I call it "ultra-violet" almost aura-like in its effect.

raydio.
PS Good news: They aren't self-sterile. I have had single vines make Lots of seed.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 3:21 PM

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful Donna, a friend sent me a large plant of it from Florida this past Spring, but it died as soon as it got here.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Raydio, that is good to know. :~)
Jerodsmom, they are really easy to start from seed. Check Calas Tropicals:
http://calastropicals.com/module/store/search.php?query=clitoria
She has the double blue and the double white.

Mesilla Park, NM

Donna,
Just wanted to say how pretty those are.. haven't had much luck on this side of CA getting them to bloom. They germinate and grow some, but peter out with the heat. I keep on trying though.

Your's look great. I love that blue.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Antoinette, and I am surprised! Mine thrive on the heat and are in pots too. Of course they get watered every day... Wonder why yours are unhappy? Really strange since we are in the same zone.

Mesilla Park, NM

I dont' know what it is, there are two that germinated now on their own a couple of weeks ago. I did start them all in January, so now I don't know what color these will be, if they get big enough. They are growing in the strangest places (cactus hanging planter) and the other is in another pot with more cactus.. I am afraid to move them.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I would be too. Last year I started them inside & transplanted them & only got one flower. I think they are picky like that.
Thats odd they are coming up in places you didnt plant them!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

odd but neat!~ I will have to grow these next year again, missed them this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.