Itching

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I just returned from 6 weeks in Virginia where I had quite a problem. After being there only 3 days I shaved my legs & got razor burn.. The next day my legs were broke out bad & the itch was almost unbearable. I put almost everything on them but they just got worse. I ended up in the emergancy room where I was told it was impetigo and put on antibiotics. A few days later went to a Dr (the only one who would see me) She had me put salt soaks on them. That made things even worse & by now was on my arms some too. I was climbing the walls & benadryl only made me hyper & not sleepy. Back to the Dr & another one saw me (same office). He took me off salt soaks & added a very high powered antibiotic along with what I was on. He called it folliculitis (barbers itch) All this time I was trying to see a dermataligist. The high antibotic started giving me side effects so back to the ER. They told me to do NOTHING. Only wash them every other day. They did start getting better. I finally saw a dermatoligist. She walked in the room & said I had ECZEMA CRAQUELE. She put me on a steriod ointment in hours the hard itch was gone after almost 5 weeks of agony. All the breaking out is gone now but still has marking from it.

I do have itching All over & have for sometime. This is not the same type of itch I describe above. It is just an annoying itch but hard not to scratch. My Dr told me to only put soap where I absolutly had to & take cool showers. If I could avoid it to not bath everyday. I use a lot of fragrance free lotions. I am using Dove soap.
What I am really want to know is does anyone have any other ideas what to do about itching. I know it is not good to scratch but hard not to.

BTW I found it is very hard to get a Dr out of town. Some of the Drs refused to see me cause I am on Medicare. I don't find that problems here. The Drs I saw for years there refused for that reason & they hadn't seen me in 5 years. They won't take new medicare patients.

Itching sounds like a minor problem but sure isn't.
Dar

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!